Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

One of the things I liked about Ann she was always cracking wise. Great actress.

Remember Violet?

Yes, Vi Praskins was the phone operator and Mr Sands was Susie's boss, loved Don Porter too.

Frequent Contributor

Hi Deepwaterdotter,

I think you may be confusing Ann Southern with Joan Blondell  Joan B. played Katherine Hepburn's sidekick in "Desk Set"

Ladybird

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

Watched a movie with Ann Sothern last night -- A Letter to Three Wives.  I had forgotten how much I loved her!

In the movie, she was married to Kirk Douglas....both were so young!

What an enjoyable old film with a lot of great actors.

"A Letter to Three Wives is a 1949 American romantic drama film which tells the story of a woman who mails a letter to three women, telling them she has left town with the husband of one of them. It stars Jeanne Crain, Linda Darnell, Ann Sothern, Paul Douglas in his film debut, Kirk Douglas, Jeffrey Lynn, and Thelma Ritter. An uncredited Celeste Holm provides the voice of Addie Ross, the unseen woman who wrote the titular letter."

Used to love her in Private Secretary.  A very underrated star in my opinion.  She often seemed to be the wise-cracking friend, much like Eve Arden...another favorite.

I miss those stars of yesteryear!

I think the dress that Ann Sothern wore in the movie when she had her boss for dinner, was one of the most flattering dresses. I always admired it. And thought she looked so nice in it. 

Honored Contributor

@kimbobimbo wrote:

Hi Deepwaterdotter,

I think you may be confusing Ann Southern with Joan Blondell  Joan B. played Katherine Hepburn's sidekick in "Desk Set"

Ladybird

Oops, you're correct.  Thanks for the info.

Honored Contributor

From 1958 to 61 she starred in the sit com, The Ann Sothern Show where she played the asst. mgr. of a NYC hotel, it featured some of her same costars from her earlier series.

Honored Contributor

She passed away in 2001 at the age of 92.