Honored Contributor

Ann Rule--Which of her books are your favorites?

I haven't read many of her books--can't remember which one I read because it was long ago--so I'm asking which are your favorites!  It was shame about her death, and now I think it's time I read another book by her.

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Ann Rule--Which of her books are your favorites?

Small Sacrifices.  Woman in Oregon shot her three children to be with her boyfriend.

Respected Contributor

The Stranger Beside Me.

Ann Rule was a friend and co-worker of Ted Bundy before she knew he was a serial killer.  She knew him personally.  It was a facinating book to me, also, because he moved to my city and kidnapped and murdered several girls from around here.  I know the apt building he lived in, the places he kidnapped the girls, and the canyon areas that he disposed of them.  It literally is close to home.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/07/28/crime-writer-ann-rule-and-killer-ted-bu...

Respected Contributor

ITA about The Stranger Beside Me.   It's fascinating on its own and more so because she worked with him.

Honored Contributor

I may not have all my facts straight, but I recall one in which a female doctor (in KS, I think) set her house on fire in order to kill her family.

Esteemed Contributor

I loved all of them but Dead at Sunset was good.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

Thanks to all!  GOOD recommendations!  I knew a very "normal" guy that everyone liked once and he wound up killing someone.  You never know!  That sort of changed how I look at life.  I just posted on another topic that it would not sit well with me if a stranger paid for my meal.  I guess this may have something to do with that feeling you think?  To me that would be creepy.

Thanks again for the recommencations!

Honored Contributor

@AuntG

That was Bitter Harvest .  She was a Doctor, so was he I think.  She poisoned him with Risen (sp) over a long period.  Then she set the house on fire.  I will not go further as to spoil it.

I like it.  But she was so narcissic, I was mad through half the book.

Honored Contributor

Sooner,There are many Ann Rule books I loved.  One that forever sticks in my head is Dead by Sunset.  I loved it.  It spanned over many ears, and I vaguely remembered the trial.  It happened in Washington or Oregon.  The man hunt for him lasted a while, and he always sleezed by.There is TV movie that was real good if you want to see the condensed version. It was a 2 or 3 parter!!

Stranger Beside Me,  We all know how it ended.  It is the beginning and the in between that is unreal...but it is real!!!  it is long, detailed and it can keep you on the edge of your seat. It was one of her first books and much lauded.  I think there was much info on Ted Bundy I didn't know!!  As you know Mark Harmon played Ted Bundy in the tv movie.  He was lauded for his portrayal.

Too Late To Say Good bye, is very good.  As it progresses it brings a twister I didn't see coming.  The Dentist in this one is horrible, narcissic, and beyond evil.  How do women marry these men?  There was also a tv movie starring Rob Lowe, that pushed his acting skills to new levels.  It was a 2 or 3 parter too!

Those are a few.  One with twists and turns that spans about 15 years or longer for justice is And Never Let Her Go, and boy did he mean it!!

The knack Ann Rule had was going into intricate detail about the victim and the murderer .  Every detail in their past, and up until the crime.  Then it is detail after that.  The families, their fight for justice. 

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

The Stranger Beside Me.

Ann Rule was a friend and co-worker of Ted Bundy before she knew he was a serial killer.  She knew him personally.  It was a facinating book to me, also, because he moved to my city and kidnapped and murdered several girls from around here.  I know the apt building he lived in, the places he kidnapped the girls, and the canyon areas that he disposed of them.  It literally is close to home.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/07/28/crime-writer-ann-rule-and-killer-ted-bu...

That IS too close to home! When I was young I knew the uncle of one of his last victims. She was in the dorm (or sorority house - can't remember which), and she was one of the girls who did survive (I believe she was bitten.). I think two girls died and two survived.  I remember everyone's shock at the time. Thank goodness he was caught shortly after that. I remember experts at the time saying he wanted to be caught and that's why he went on his last "spree." IDK if that is true, but I still can't believe the horror.