Highlighted
Honored Contributor

And speaking of the Olympics

The womens hockey team: Poor loser!

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

Re: And speaking of the Olympics

I guess I don't understand your post.  Didn't the US women win the gold in hockey?

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette

They did!

America celebrated gold medal joy and ended 20 years of Olympic misery against Canada in the most anticipated clash of the Winter Games last night and took the women's ice hockey title. 

A dramatic shootout resulted in a 3-2 American win over the reigning four-time champions. 

The US were looking to end 20 years of domination by the Canadians and took the lead through former Boston Pride star Hilary Knight just before the end of the first period.

The United States celebrates after defeating Canada in a shootout to win women's ice hockey

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I just read it was the Canadian team that won the Silver Medal. One of their players, when presented the Silver, immediately took it off. It was a show of bad behavior, poor sportsmanship, and just behaving like a spoiled brat poor loser. This one player showed that she had no decent character. So sad for the whole team to have a teammate behaving like that. They played a great game and gave it their all, so they should have all been proud to win Silver.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am Canadian.  Although I didn't see the game last night (on at midnight here) it was hard to miss the coverage of the Canadian player this morning.  The Canada/US rivalry is a deep one.  We see it in men's and women's hockey as well as in the World Juniors which is my favorite hockey.  The rivalry makes the game that much more exciting.  I am disappointed in this young woman's response.  Sadly, I believe this reaction will follow her for a long time.  She was overwhelmed by the quest for gold but her reaction displayed poor sportsmanship.  I am sure upon reflection she will regret her response.  A life lesson learned the hard way.  

Congratulations to the US women's hockey team on gold and to the Canadian team for silver.  LM

PS, it is evening here now.  This hockey game has been replayed and I saw most of it, including the medal presentation.  The Canadian player, Jocelyn LaRocque, who took the medal off after presentation has generated a lot of discussion online today.  People, generally speaking, are upset about the lack of sportsmanship displayed in this incident.  They are even more upset about the poor example demonstrated for young aspiring athletes.  Such a shame.  No winners in this story.  LM

Honored Contributor

@sommertime

Oh, thank you.

I assumed she was referring to the USA team, since her OP didn't say that she was referring to the Canadian team.

Thanks for explaining!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Somebody needs to tell the US team what they should do when the National Anthem is being played.  Its not looping your arms with your neighbor.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

i have been reading tweets and facebook posts about the canadian team member.......some really upset with her, others understanding her pain and disappointment.

it really is too bad that she did not portray better sportsmanship, especially for her team and country.

sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but you always have to move on......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Here is the apology from the Canadian player.  There was a huge negative response to this online.  What a shame to have the Olympic memory marred by her response.  I am sure if she could do it over the response would be different.  LM

Full statement from Jocelyne Larocque:

"I want to apologize to the IOC, IIHF, the PyeongChang Olympic Organizing Committee, Canadian Olympic Committee, Hockey Canada and most especially to my teammates and our fans for removing my silver medal after it was presented to me. In the moment, I was disappointed with the outcome of the game, and my emotions got the better of me. I meant no disrespect — it has been an honour to represent my country and win a medal for Canada. I'm proud of our team, and proud to be counted among the Canadian athletes who have won medals at these Games. Being on the podium at the world's biggest sporting event is a great achievement and one that I'm thankful I was able to experience with my teammates. For all fans, young and old, please understand this was a moment in time that I truly wish I could take back. I take seriously being a role model to young girls and representing our country. My actions did not demonstrate the values our team, myself and my family live and for that I am truly sorry."

With files from The Canadian Press