Respected Contributor

Re: And speaking of Jeopardy.....

I like learning a little about the contestants during the show.

Has anyone noticed how some question categories appear to be tailored to the specific interests or professional backgrounds of some contestants? 

Or am I imagining it?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I dvr the shows and usually skip past the interviews.

Respected Contributor

@novamc1, No, I don't think you're imagining it. In fact I've been telling people that for the past few years. It seems to have started when they had a champion who was popular. A couple of categories would be catered to them. As an example if a contestant was a librarian I wouldn't be surprised if there were categories like Newbery Medal winners, Edgar Award winners, Shakespearean Characters, Literary First Lines, 18th Century Poets. 

If involved with music then categories likes Brass instruments, Gilbert & Sullivan Operas,  80's Rock Bands, Billboard Top 100 Albums.

I also seemed to notice that, and I don't know how to say this tactfully, if they wanted a champion to continue they did not always seem to pit them against those equally matched. 

That’s why I wished they never changed limiting a champion to five wins.
Frequent Contributor

That's my favorite part of the show!  I love to know where they're from and their profession. 

Trusted Contributor

@Etoile308     Jeopardy categories are chosen randomly and selected well in advance of contestants' appearances. That is one way of ensuring that intentional favoring of contestants doesn't occur. Contestants seem to have a vast array of knowledge, many study intensely before appearances, and sometimes have a category that has familiar content. A major scandal such as this would likely cause the demise of the show.