Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  I wasn't sure how long the show in Las Vegas was, so I looked it up.  According to Wikipedia it's for 12 weeks.  The gospel group is singing hits and show tunes, so I think they would do fine in Vegas.

They also win $1,000,000.  According to one website, though, they get a $25,000 a year pay-out, which would take forever to collect the entire amount.  You can elect a full pay-out but pay over half your winnings in tax according to what I read.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

I really like Johnny Manuel, but I think he made a huge mistake singing an original song last night.  I think that's almost always a mistake, because most people seem to like hearing a song that they're familiar with.  I don't vote, because I watch the show the next day, but I would have voted for him and the magician.  I haven't finished watching the show though.

@NickNack, I actually liked the song Johnny sang. Why is it the judges admonish him for singing an original song, but Chase is praised week after week for his original tunes?

@Jordan2 I liked the song he sang, too, but the judges didn't.  I wondered the same thing about them praising Chase right after they criticized Johnny.  I'll bet Johnny noticed it, too.  I think Johnny was visibly upset with the criticism.  

I was mainly going by other talent shows and remembering when people sang original songs.  They didn't usually go over well.

@NickNack@Jordan2Chase has been an original songwriter since the get go- Johnny sang diva type songs. It's what got eachto this stage of the competition, for Johnny to change it up now wasn't in his best interest.

Valued Contributor

I record this show and then FF through a lot of it.  I did watch and voted for the Ventriloquist the Magician and the Dogs.

I do listen to what the judges say.

I am just not into any of the singers this time however, I would enjoy seeing the large group perform.

Honored Contributor

That was mean to let the two acts think one of them was going on, and neither one is. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Americas Got Talent

[ Edited ]

@NickNack That's like when you win the lottery.  You can opt for full pay out but it comes to almost getting 1/2 of it when you do.  A good percentage goes to taxes.  That's when you realize how much money we pay into taxes.  Ha!

I didn't know they sang show tunes because all I've seen were gospel songs....

I forgot to add that most people don't realize how long it takes for people to receive their money or prizes.  It takes many months.  I go on line to read about these shows, I find it interesting.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@NickNack That's like when you win the lottery.  You can opt for full pay out but it comes to almost getting 1/2 of it when you do.  A good percentage goes to taxes.  That's when you realize how much money we pay into taxes.  Ha!

I didn't know they sang show tunes because all I've seen were gospel songs....

I forgot to add that most people don't realize how long it takes for people to receive their money or prizes.  It takes many months.  I go on line to read about these shows, I find it interesting.

@Annabellethecat66  Yes, but when you take the lump sum in the Lottery you are still getting a HUGE amount of money!  Not so with AGT.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

That was mean to let the two acts think one of them was going on, and neither one is. 

I thought that was awful, too, @Jordan2.  I was so disappointed Johnny Manuel was voted off.  I hope the magician doesn't go home, but it looked like he was getting the lowest number of votes when they put it up on the screen.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Oh darn, I just went to vote in the Dunkin' Save for the magician, and it's already closed. 😞

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I sure hope that Evie doesn't win the whole thing. I saw the coming attractions for next week and saw the Pompeyo Family dog act. I could have sworn they didn't make it through to the semi finals, as a matter of fact I'm certain of it ( unless I'm losing my mind)!

Honored Contributor

@NickNack Not necessarily.  There are varying amounts of lottery winnings.  Not everyone wins millions, etc.

If you want to think about people winning small amounts of money....think about The Family Feud.  If those people usually wins $20,000, they divide it by 5 people.  Take money out for taxes....that isn't a lot of money but it's STILL something, I guess.

There are few things where you get lump sums and don't have to pay taxes on it.  One thing I know for sure is (in Va anyway) if you receive a lump sum due to a car accident you don't have to pay taxes on it.  I didn't.  Of course it almost entirely went to the hospital and Drs and

I had to sue to pay THEM, but I was surprised that I didn't have to claim it.  That's what I understood when I told my lawyers and accountants that pay my taxes.  Then I thought....OK, that's why this country is so sue crazy.  It explains some things.