Respected Contributor

I watched a little of it but it's a no, for me. I like Kelly but she needs a stylist.

Respected Contributor

I ended up talking on the phone to a friend for a hour, missed the entire show !

Respected Contributor

Re: American Song Contest

[ Edited ]

Last night and today I was switching back and forth between shows.  Today I was switching between amican idol, the song show and and real estate show about buying waterfront properties. 

I didn't really like the song show - didn't hold my attention - I probably missed some real talent, but what I saw I wasn't impressed.  It seems overproduced.  Didn't like the banter with Kelly and snoop - all seemed very forced and weird.  

I think it was the year before last there was an amazing songwriter show - trying to remember the name , I'll post back when I do - but they had songwriters come on the show, sing their original song for song writing coaches and a talent (different one each weeek) and the talent would pick three they wanted to see developed into a song for them. Then each person would work with a coach and rewrite the song in a customized way.  1 winner in the end.  It was a fantastic show!  Wish it would come back.  

*the tv show was called Songland

Respected Contributor

I watched it and I'm on the fence. I didn't hate it, but it's not at all what I was expecting and if I had recorded it, I would have been fast forwarding through a lot. I wasn't expecting the big productions and that the contestants seemed to already have music careers.

I didn't understand the voting. At the beginning they said you could start voting already before anyone had even performed, and it seemed like you could vote for states that weren't even going to perform tonight. They didn't even try to pretend that the voting was based on your favorite performance. I also thought at the beginning they said three were going to go through and it turned out to be one. Sure wasn't the one I would have thought.

Respected Contributor

I personally think Kelly Clarkson is getting over exposed.  Seems like she's taken over NBC (nothing but clarkson).  I'm a bit tired of her but I guess she's stricking while the iron's hot.  Gotta make those alimony payments.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Jordan2 I really can't stand him and she gets on my last nerve so it's a no for me.

Not even to mention how badly we really DON'T need yet another musical varity type contest show. Network TV really has just given up any semblance of quality entertainment in favor of the lowest common denominator.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I personally think Kelly Clarkson is getting over exposed.  Seems like she's taken over NBC (nothing but clarkson).  I'm a bit tired of her but I guess she's stricking while the iron's hot.  Gotta make those alimony payments.

Seriously... If it isn't John Legend it's Kelly Clarkson...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@10sluvr wrote:

I watched a little of it but it's a no, for me. I like Kelly but she needs a stylist.

@10sluvr I don't know who her stylist is, but I don't like how Kelly dresses ( it could be Kelly has a lot of input to how she dresses and it isn't the stylist's fault). Kelly almost always wears a belt around her waist, I don't think it's flattering on her. I didn't like the pattern or style of the dress ( I thought the length was odd), I thought she looked frumpy. 

Trusted Contributor

I think Kelly is probably nice, but a little Kelly goes a very long way, and the problem is that there is never "a little" Kelly. Shre is everywhere and way too overexposed. I read that she is changing her name to her middle name or something. I think she is tryoing to redefine herself, which would be dumb, since she is where she is because peope put her there.

As far as her "style" (or lack thereof), I am also sure she doesn't have or listen to a sty;ist. She is who she is and she likes how she dresses, regardless of how she looks. She is probably trying to make up for the times she was on American Idol and Simon may have said somethingabot her weight. So, I think she truly dresses by choosing things she likes to wear.

I kind of think the whole divorce thing really did a number on her and she is trying to recreate the single mom Kelly. 

But, all said, I don't watch her talk show or watch heron anything else. She is too loud and too full of herself. But, she has a great voice.

Respected Contributor

I see this show is replaying all over the place on cable.  Tonight just happened to see the last act - a guy from Rhode Island.  I stayed to listen and I really liked him. It was just him singing - not some overproduced number and he was really good!  So after that they said it was a time to vote for the night - apparently you can't vote for anyone from your own state, or something like that.  and the vote was for who would move forward - guaranteed a place if I understood correctly.  Anyway - happily surprised the guy from Rhode Island won that vote!