Esteemed Contributor

When I first watched this show, I didn't like it. I felt they were ripping the people off when they would buy something.

Now it is one of my favorite shows and I love hearing the History behind the things they buy.. I have seen them give the owner MORE money when the Pickers felt something was worth  alot more.

Then there are the people who have a barn full of things just thrown in huge piles rusting away that want TOP dollar....or just won't part with stuff.

I really like Mike and Frank's personalities too...

Esteemed Contributor

My husband and I watch The Pickers from time to time. What amazes me is that wherever they go, The Pickers find people (usually men) who collect all this stuff. I see a male version of hoarding. Sure, sometimes there are treasures underneath all the rubble but it still looks like junk to me. And some of the prices they allegedly pay boggle the mind. 

Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma 

We have been watching it ( all the back episodes ) since we discovered it a while ago.

Lots of different kinds of information...never boring.  Great on going character personalities as well as of the guests.

Nice travel vignettes too !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

I use to watch this show all the time.  Now I still catch it every once in awhile. 

What always amazed me was the people who don't want to part with "stuff" because it is apparently valuable although it is still sitting in a barn under a ton of clutter.  Everytime I see an elderly person with barns full of stuff I feel for the families who will eventually have to deal with all of it.

The stories of how people obtained their "treasures" and the history of those items which Frank and Mike add to the story are always interesting.

Valued Contributor

The Pickers came to my neck of the woods once and they were very respectful to those they visited and were very fair in the amounts they said they would pay.

After negotiations, all those chosen were very pleased and certainly did not feel that they had been cheated in any way.

An interesting show - 

Honored Contributor

I love it!  My TV is set to remind me when it's on.  

I like the all day marathons.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: American Pickers

[ Edited ]

On one of the shows, I think it's quite an older one, I almost slid off my chair laughing. They pulled an old sort of bike type exercise machine out of a garage or building, it was electric. Frank got on it, put his feet on the pedals and Mike turned it on. It started going really fast and poor Frank's short little legs couldn't keep up with it and he looked like he was in shock. You had to see it to appreciate how funny it was.

Frequent Contributor

Been watching this show from its beginning.  I love the history and am intrigued by these hoarders.  Mike and Frank are very personable.  

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

When I first watched this show, I didn't like it. I felt they were ripping the people off when they would buy something.

Now it is one of my favorite shows and I love hearing the History behind the things they buy.. I have seen them give the owner MORE money when the Pickers felt something was worth  alot more.

Then there are the people who have a barn full of things just thrown in huge piles rusting away that want TOP dollar....or just won't part with stuff.

I really like Mike and Frank's personalities too...

I enjoy this show, Mike and Frank seem genuine and kind.  I have seen them go back to the person and give them more money if they find out a piece is worth more than they thought.  They are very fair and totally respectful to the sellers.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

My DH and I went to the store in Nashville.  It is in a horrible neighborhood but that's neither here nor there.  LOL  It was interesting to hear one of the store employees talk about how this all started and how it works.  

They were also in our neck of the woods either last year or the year before.  Although we watch, I haven't caught the one on air from when they were here.