Honored Contributor

Re: American Idol vs The Voice

I'll watch it again.  A couple of the singers were good, but there isn't nearly as much talent on AI as there is on The Voice.  The early years of AI with Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson were very good.

It's too bad The Voice doesn't promote their winners the way AI does.  There have been so many wonderful singers come through The Voice.  I have hopes for Chris Blue since Alicia is working closely with him.  Quite a few of the country singers from The Voice have made it--not huge but they do get played frequently on country radio.  I think Blake helps them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I didn't think I would watch A Idol again but ended up watching last night and I was surprised that I liked it.

Some of the singers were very good and interesting, and I even enjoyed their back stories.

Katy Perry was interesting but I didn't like how she thinks she is all that and seems to direct the judging.

But they all seem to not follow the usual and I liked that-like dancing with a contestant,or allowing them to have another chance and also giving constructive (rather than mean or harsh) criticism which is so welcoming and refreshing!

As for the voice, as much as I love Kelly Clarkson, I think the show has started focusing on the judges and their act, and their comments and on and on way too much and I just don't think any of that is interesting. 

What I read about behind the scenes (and I forget where but it certainly should come up if you google!) is that the contestants are rarely coached or mentored by the judges but more by voice coaches hired to work with them.

Also, they are not offered a recording contract and sponsored like they are on American Idol.

Anyway, something to that effect and disappointing and no wonder we don't hear about most of them.

They pretty much have to use their win as an opening but go from there pretty much on their own (though we always hear from Blake that he sticks with his winners and helps them).

And though I do like some of Katy Perry's songs and Taylor Swifts that they've written, I've heard both of them sing and am still amazed at what incredible agents and marketing they have had, winning award after award when I know I have heard singers and musicians who are so much better to me!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Luke seems to be the nicest, he doesn't want to hurt anyone. I was surprised that they changed their minds about one of the contestants, I don't think its ever been done before. I thought he was good, I think Lionel over thinks things, invite them to L.A., you can always cut them later on. The ones that brag the most, are always the ones with the least talent. The 26 year old from Denver couldn't believe she didn't move on. She was blaming everyone and thing but herself.Then there were some contestants that surprise, you think they may not be good but are.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the baywrote:

I didn't think I would watch A Idol again but ended up watching last night and I was surprised that I liked it.

Some of the singers were very good and interesting, and I even enjoyed their back stories.

Katy Perry was interesting but I didn't like how she thinks she is all that and seems to direct the judging.

But they all seem to not follow the usual and I liked that-like dancing with a contestant,or allowing them to have another chance and also giving constructive (rather than mean or harsh) criticism which is so welcoming and refreshing!

As for the voice, as much as I love Kelly Clarkson, I think the show has started focusing on the judges and their act, and their comments and on and on way too much and I just don't think any of that is interesting. 

What I read about behind the scenes (and I forget where but it certainly should come up if you google!) is that the contestants are rarely coached or mentored by the judges but more by voice coaches hired to work with them.

Also, they are not offered a recording contract and sponsered like they are on American Idol.

Anyway, something to that effect and disappointing and no wonder we don't hear about most of them.

They pretty much have to use their win as an opening but go from there pretty much on their own (though we always hear from Blake that he sticks with his winners and helps them).

And though I do like some of Katy Perry's songs and Taylor Swifts that they've written, I've heard both of them sing and am still amazed at what incredible agents and marketing they have had, winning award after award when I know I have heard singers and musicians who are so much better to me!

Thank you for posting what you read about the behind the scenes.  I had Googled it but couldn't find anything.  I Googled it again a different way after you posted this and found something in The Washington Post.  It was an interview with one of the contestants that was on Shakira's team.  She only saw Shakira when they were filming.  She did say, though, that some of the other judges spent more time with the contestants.  She wished she had been on Usher's team.  

The winner does receive a record contract, though, according to another article I read.  I've read that several times.  The record company often doesn't help them a lot, though, according to something that I read that Adam said.  He said they hoped to try to get them to change that.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@I like celerywrote:

I liked Katy, and I thought Lionel and Luke seem to be trying to be not only nice, but encouraging to those who aren't "quite ready."  I liked Katy the most, though.  I'll continue to watch.  

@I like celeryagreed!  It's funny how there's a different take on Katy with many others on this thread. She quirky, definitely steps outside the box. I like that!

The one thing I'll miss with the reboot were the awful auditons- havng a few here & there were entertaining.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaidenwrote:

I only watched a little bit of the show last night... it just was a snore fest for me....

being 62 I do not know any of the judges other than the face of Pery.... and I know nothing else about her.

@SeaMaidenYou don't know Lionel Richie? He's been around forever!

Trusted Contributor

I like both and watch both.  Thank goodness for my DVR.  I record both and FF through the commercials.  Starting out you have to switch back and forth a bit for a while, but that way I'm able to watch both shows in a total of 3 hours.  That tells you how many commercials shows have between 7:00 - 10:00 pm!

Respected Contributor

@RainCityWomanwrote:

@Laura14wrote:

Was not a fan of AI last night and I really tried with Lionel on the show.  It's just a shame that his quiet sense of class and Luke's manners were overshadowed by crass behavior of the one who was raised on social media.  Katy, I am looking at you.

I don't think she is cute, funny, or anything other than pathetic in her attempt to outshine the burgeoning talents of the show.  It just totally misses the point which is why they lose audiences like me who just want to watch an actual talent show with some knowledgable talents who've been there and not someone's antics.   I can tell I am not their demographic.

It's so not about you, younger generation.  And you don't lose you when you let someone else have the spotlight for 10 minutes.  Being the person behind the scenes makes you more powerful than you would ever know.  It's a shame Katy won't give herself the chance to stand in those quiet shoes and be a true mentor. 

Not sure I'll continue and I've not been enjoying the Voice this season either.  Too much machination in that show too.  I am so glad I love to read.            

Interesting thing about Katy is that she grew up in a highly fundamentalist relilgious home. She got her start in Christian music. Everything she has become is the polar opposite of what she once was. Not that that is a bad thing, I guess, but just interesting. She belongs to a group of young female artists who are extremely self centered and shallow in my opinion, plus none of them get along with one another in the business. There is always some kind of feud going on....probably just to grab headlines. The other thing those particular young pretties need to realize is that they really are basically ordinary singers with nothing that special about their voices. It then becomes all about the outrageous costume, videos, and public peronnas.

eyes popping.gifAnd MAKEUP!  Do you think Katy had on enough eye makeup???????

Honored Contributor

@fortunewrote:

@RainCityWomanwrote:

@Laura14wrote:

Was not a fan of AI last night and I really tried with Lionel on the show.  It's just a shame that his quiet sense of class and Luke's manners were overshadowed by crass behavior of the one who was raised on social media.  Katy, I am looking at you.

I don't think she is cute, funny, or anything other than pathetic in her attempt to outshine the burgeoning talents of the show.  It just totally misses the point which is why they lose audiences like me who just want to watch an actual talent show with some knowledgable talents who've been there and not someone's antics.   I can tell I am not their demographic.

It's so not about you, younger generation.  And you don't lose you when you let someone else have the spotlight for 10 minutes.  Being the person behind the scenes makes you more powerful than you would ever know.  It's a shame Katy won't give herself the chance to stand in those quiet shoes and be a true mentor. 

Not sure I'll continue and I've not been enjoying the Voice this season either.  Too much machination in that show too.  I am so glad I love to read.            

Interesting thing about Katy is that she grew up in a highly fundamentalist relilgious home. She got her start in Christian music. Everything she has become is the polar opposite of what she once was. Not that that is a bad thing, I guess, but just interesting. She belongs to a group of young female artists who are extremely self centered and shallow in my opinion, plus none of them get along with one another in the business. There is always some kind of feud going on....probably just to grab headlines. The other thing those particular young pretties need to realize is that they really are basically ordinary singers with nothing that special about their voices. It then becomes all about the outrageous costume, videos, and public peronnas.

eyes popping.gifAnd MAKEUP!  Do you think Katy had on enough eye makeup???????

@fortune, my mother who is 90 didn't care for Katy's eye makeup. She really took the smokey eye a little too far!

Respected Contributor

I prefer AI over the Voice, mainly due to the format.  I'll give it a try next week (I forgot last night + I was watching other shows).  The thing that makes the show likeable is the chemistry/interaction between the judges. 

I was recording/watching The Arrangement and The Royals last night!  🇬🇧