Esteemed Contributor

Re: American Idol contestant

I don't usually even watch the show but it was on last night. I didn't even know it was aired on Sunday, but once I started watching I didn't want to stop. There were so many good singers!

It seemed like with every other person Katy P would say "He/She is top 10 material."  Does she always do that? Lionel Richie loves to get out of his seat and approach everyone for whatever reason he has at the moment. I feel like he probably has a lot of interesting stories he could tell! Luke Bryan was mostly sweet and charming. I enjoyed it.

Trusted Contributor

This show hasn't even been on my radar due to Katy Perry's presence.  But nice to know that someone unknown with talent was recognized who doesn't fit the It Girl persona.  I think many previous winners lack that ingredient as well which holds them back for future sucess.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

From last night I liked the guy who sang an original song (which was good about how hard it was trying to make it, he was really cute) and the last girl at the end of the show who brought her friend with Down Syndrome. The judges were so nice to him, it was sweet he got a chance to sing for them (I admit I was tearing up). Oh yeah, I liked the African American guy who was put up for adoption at 7 years old, and came with his vocal coach who believes in him. I am such a sap for all the hard luck stories!

Honored Contributor

I think it was TMZ I was watching the other day.  They showed a piece where a guy was being teased that he'd never kissed or been kissed.

Then it showed Katie Perry.  Call him over and put her cheek up for him to kiss it and when he did she turned her face and kissed him on the lips.

TMZ said if that was a girl and Katie Perry was a male it would be called harassment.

It started me thinking.  Here was this guy and Katie Perry decided on her own that she'd be the first person to have this first kiss with this guy.

I'm sorry but I think that was wrong of her.  Now some would say, "He's lucky to have Katie Perry kiss him".  Maybe so but that should have been HIS choice.

It can't be both ways.  That's all I'm saying.  Society needs to make up their mind....

Now someone would say, "Whoa!  Take it easy Annabelle, you're being stupid!  Maybe that's true too, but these days, more and more I find myself reversing things and they seem quite different, that's all I'm saying.

I don't watch this show.  I used to love the REAL AI this one (in my opinion tries too hard).

I heard on XM Satellite radio Ruben Studdard talking about his new record.  He's wonderful on the record.  He talked about AI and how they kept them in a bubble and kept them busy for (he said) "Three years".  

He wasn't complaining, just said it as a matter of fact.  He said being on there definitely helped him.

I just think this new one isn't for me.  I'm not the least bit interested.  I think Katie Perry is way, way overpaid for what she's doing.

I don't know about the other people.  I like Mr. Ritchie and don't know much about the other guy (he seems nice) and maybe that's the problem.

How many people think these three are giving these singers???? false hope?  They don't have to be terrible to them but for goodness sakes tell these people the truth.

They tell many, many people, "You could be in the top ten".

Honored Contributor

I have been watching but I really liked Harry, Jennifer and Keith much better. Not crazy about Katy. This group seems to pass a lot of people through. My fav was Simon and he would have shut it down. It sems every singer was good or top 10 or has the magic IT factor. They are trying to out nice one another.

Once they are all in Hollywood and the group as to be slash by a lot - the truth will come out. 

Does anyone find that a lot of contestants feel that shouting a song is the way to show their range? One of the most powerful performances was Adam Lambert's Mad World. Haunting and beautiful.

I liked the adoptive father with a 6 month baby, the male who lost his adoptive mother and wrote and original song, 2 sisters and the older sis w/guitar (younger sis should not have been passed through).

Respected Contributor

@Yahooey, excellent post; you read my mind.

Respected Contributor

She is amazing!  Thanks for posting , I missed it. It is a promising season, sooo glad it’s back!

Honored Contributor

I don't understand why the woman Brittney (the vocal coach) didn't go on to the next round. I thought she was good, what's the big deal, send her to Hollywood, the judges can always cut her then. I don't think the judges were fair to the 17 year old girl that came with her 20 year old sister, the guitarist. She looked like she was seething, her sister auditioning when she came as more of less support for her. I actually think the judges liked the 20 year old better, I thought the 17 year old wasn't going through. That car ride home must have been interesting! The last contestant who came in with his son (his sister's baby) had me tearing up. I am so glad he made it through, a good man who stepped up to the plate. All these sob stories get to me.

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2, I agree with you about Brittney and was sure she was going through.  IMO, she nailed that song and a difficult one it is.  I'm wondering if the judges didn't like that she was a voice coach and were afraid she wouldn't want any additional coaching at the competition.  If you do facebook, there's a lot of uproar on the issue about her not going through, though some are saying that they changed their minds and gave her a golden ticket to attend.

As for the two sisters, I agree with you. The 17 year old was not at all happy that her sister was granted  permission to sing and it showed.  IMO, the 17 year old is no where near ready but her older sister was very good.  

I also enjoyed the last guy with the baby and really liked Brandon Elder (the guy who was adopted at 7 years old and lost his mom and wrote/sang a song dedicated to her).

Trusted Contributor

They're being very smart with how they conduct these first round auditions.  I remember in the past how their gimmick would be featuring a lot of bad singers and having Simon cut them down.  Now their entertainment factor is showing people with good voices who have heartfelt human interest stories.  It makes for good tv, and by the time they get through with the first day in Hollywood, most of these people will be cut and forgotten, and we can focus on the ones with the best singing skills.