Valued Contributor

Anyone see/ hear the singer in the red shirt on American Idol tonight ?  He sang "Hallelujah "  lt was so good it gave me goosebumps . All the judges were in tears and he got a Platinum Ticket !  He was one of the best l have ever heard ! l didn't get his name . Red shirt dark curly hair dark skin, very nice looking young man and what a beautiful song . l will be watching for him to get up to the top ! 

Respected Contributor

@judianne I watched him but did not hear his backstory - tuned in about 1/2 way / 1/4 way through.  He had a beautiful voice - very authentic and emotional.

Respected Contributor

I dvr the show, so hopefully will see him tomorrow.  Glad to know they got someone who can really sing. Cat Happy

Esteemed Contributor

One of my favorite songs, if done correctly.  His version wasn't to my liking.  

Respected Contributor

Would love to hear that song, but we stopped watching a few years ago. It became all about the backstory drama and not really about the singing talent, so we moved on. Hopefully they have figured out why they lost so many viewers and have made some changes. This contestant sounds like he will go far.

Respected Contributor

@judianne , I believe his name is Cameron Osterloh but goes by Cam Amen.

Frequent Contributor

Unfortunately Idol has not done away with all the back stoies.   If anything, that aspect has been ramped up.   I hate it too and can only hope that everyone has now gotten that out of their systems and the show will focus on the actual singing.  (But who am I kidding?)    At least on The Voice, a particularly sad or dramatic back story does not guarantee that any chairs will turn, and often they do not.   On Idol, it seems that once a contestant reveals a challenging life experience, they are automatically put through. 

Frequent Contributor

I'm sorry.   My previous post sounds harsh.   I didn't mean to imply that the contestants' stories aren't heartreaking.  They are.   I only wish that the show concentrated on the singing aspect more than it does, at least in auditions.   And not everyone with a particulary wrenching back story should be put through, given that they probably won't make it much further in the competition, so their hopes will have been dashed anyway. 
       On The Voice, when no judges turn their chairs it's because of the singer's actual voice, because the judges don't know anything else about them at that point.

Honored Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

Would love to hear that song, but we stopped watching a few years ago. It became all about the backstory drama and not really about the singing talent, so we moved on. Hopefully they have figured out why they lost so many viewers and have made some changes. This contestant sounds like he will go far.

@Trailrun23 ITA!  I quit watching because of the back story scripted BS too. This is about music and talent...back stories are not relevant. Or should I call them SOB STORIES..... 

Honored Contributor

I like to watch the videos after the show airs. Then I can hear as much or little instead of all the judges stuff or all the backstory.

I thought Cam Amen has a voice with lots of soul potential but I wish he had chosen another song than Hallelujah.

My favorite version of this is Alexandra Burke who was on x-factor. Compare the 2 and there is no comparison. He put his own style on the song and I just thought it lacked so much of the wow that the song has.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"