Esteemed Contributor

Re: American Bandstand secret

@tedEbear wrote:

@Puzzle Piece-  I watched AB after school, just like everyone else, never had the feeling of ANYTHING other than the JOY of DANCING, from the kids on there.  I watched until 1964, when I was married (only 17,but graduated high school)-----------tedEbear

Out West we watched and also viewed the Lloyd Thakston (spe) show.  I was referring to the AB show when it came out here. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

If they were gay, at that age they probably didn't even know it!! I don't care if they were or not-they sure could dance.

There was a rumor circulating for years that Connie Francis and Dlck Clark were having an affair. What a bunch of hooey. No proof-just trying to get something on Dlck Clark. They were friends-good friends. I wonder if when she had her trouble he helped her, but I don't think anything ever helped her. She's ok now, I know I read that for sure.

@Judaline I knew I liked girls when I was in elementary school and had my first crush on a girl. Just like I knew I also liked boys. I can't speak for anyone else but myself. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@mollybgood wrote:

Apparently many of the young people on the show were gay.   Clark knew and was afraid if the viewers knew they would change the dial.  Arlene (the Arlene & Kenny couple) is gay, for instance. Justine and Bob were my favorite couple.

To me discussing sectual orientation on this forum is unacceptable. What is the OP intention here?

Oh, come on, this forum has no problem discussing sexuality from a heteronormative viewpoint. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Wasn't that 50 years ago?  Why would that surprise you now?