Honored Contributor

Re: American Bandstand secret

@Sunnyfield wrote:

While I agree that life was simpler in many ways (grew up in the 50's and 60's), I do not think it was necessarily "better"...

Just think about it - there are many more people in the world today, so it stands to reason there are more "bad" people doing "bad" things...I think the biggest difference is that we are bombarded with information 24-7, so we hear about things around the world immediately.  Years ago, if it wasn't happening in your immediate area, you didn't know about it...now you do.

And, for what it's worth, I knew a girl who was molested by her father for years but it did not come out until she was an adult.  I also knew a boy whose mother hung herself in their basement shortly after her 4th child was born...probably post partum depression, which no one talked about then...or maybe even knew about...so anyone who thinks those things did not happen are deluding themselves....

In my life, it wasn't that such things didn't exist, but they were often ignored. There was a wonderful kid in my class who died in a horrible accident when I was in 7th  grade, and the death was never EVER mentioned, not even whispered in our small school.

Girls who got preg were married off quickly or went to a "home" then humiliated when they came back.

Another very nice guy whom I knew became a hero in the Gay community and subsequently died of HIV AIDS. His father, whom we all loved, was said to have died of a broken heart. The son's death was not honored locally because the family was embarrassed, so none of his peers were there to mourn him.

"Simpler" was missing the chance to share our griefs, support those who had for one reason or another fallen, and honor the loss of someone "different" who totally deserved our honors.

It might have felt good to me then, but it doesn't feel right to me now.

Trusted Contributor

@Plaid Pants2Everything you mentioned is still true today with the exception of driving drunk... now it's driving drunk and texting.     Homes still get robbed, alcoholic parents, girls get pregnant.    

Honored Contributor

@wvumountiefan wrote:

Here's is my opinion on the saying "good ole days." When I use that expression, I am only talking about myself ans I can only speak for myself. 

I had a wonderful childhood! I told my mom and dad as much as I could and thanked them for it. I grew up in a rural area and we lived in a very small community with lots of kids to play with. We lived right beside my mammy and pappy. My parents raised 9 kids in total, my mom worked in our home and my dad outside. Was our family perfect, "yes" to me we were. We were loved, fed, disciplined when we needed it and learned how to work and play together. 

I know when I think about the "good ole days" it's because I think back to my childhood and I was never afraid, hungry and never had to "worry" about anything, I was allowed to be a kid. I hope I'm making sense. Is my life always been a bowl of cherries? No, but it's been fine. Did my parents make mistakes, probably, but they took care of everything and that's what I mean when I say "good ole days." 

I remember this show, but I also think "Why, does this need to be made public?" Is someone hard up for money? Let people live their lives as they choose. 

@wvumountiefan

I'm not following you .... are you saying when you grew up you lived next door to your parents?

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@wvumountiefan wrote:

Here's is my opinion on the saying "good ole days." When I use that expression, I am only talking about myself ans I can only speak for myself. 

I had a wonderful childhood! I told my mom and dad as much as I could and thanked them for it. I grew up in a rural area and we lived in a very small community with lots of kids to play with. We lived right beside my mammy and pappy. My parents raised 9 kids in total, my mom worked in our home and my dad outside. Was our family perfect, "yes" to me we were. We were loved, fed, disciplined when we needed it and learned how to work and play together. 

I know when I think about the "good ole days" it's because I think back to my childhood and I was never afraid, hungry and never had to "worry" about anything, I was allowed to be a kid. I hope I'm making sense. Is my life always been a bowl of cherries? No, but it's been fine. Did my parents make mistakes, probably, but they took care of everything and that's what I mean when I say "good ole days." 

I remember this show, but I also think "Why, does this need to be made public?" Is someone hard up for money? Let people live their lives as they choose. 

@wvumountiefan

I'm not following you .... are you saying when you grew up you lived next door to your parents?

No, we as grandkids called our prandparents , mammy and pappy. I know that not too common of a name for a grandparent, but this year one of my little preschool students calls her grandparents , mammy and pappy and I was smiling. Sorry for the ramble. Lol

Esteemed Contributor

When AB came out here to CA, it wasn't secret among the viewers and others who knew the dancers.  The males were trying to get air time on the show by dancing to get experience they could use when they went for casting auditions. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

violann wrote:

In my life, it wasn't that such things didn't exist, but they were often ignored. There was a wonderful kid in my class who died in a horrible accident when I was in 7th  grade, and the death was never EVER mentioned, not even whispered in our small school.

Girls who got preg were married off quickly or went to a "home" then humiliated when they came back.

Another very nice guy whom I knew became a hero in the Gay community and subsequently died of HIV AIDS. His father, whom we all loved, was said to have died of a broken heart. The son's death was not honored locally because the family was embarrassed, so none of his peers were there to mourn him.

"Simpler" was missing the chance to share our griefs, support those who had for one reason or another fallen, and honor the loss of someone "different" who totally deserved our honors.

It might have felt good to me then, but it doesn't feel right to me now.

Everything you said.  That was beautiful.  

Last sentence - right on!  I have great respect for what you have said here.

Trusted Contributor

@Puzzle Piece-  I watched AB after school, just like everyone else, never had the feeling of ANYTHING other than the JOY of DANCING, from the kids on there.  I watched until 1964, when I was married (only 17,but graduated high school)-----------tedEbear

Esteemed Contributor

I think that this book and the person who wrote it are just despicable.  TO bring up stories like this from all those years ago with no,proof of any of it and to bring unsubstantiated stories about people who are not in the public eye is disgusting.  I hope the author doesn't make a dime from this book.

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

I think that this book and the person who wrote it are just despicable.  TO bring up stories like this from all those years ago with no,proof of any of it and to bring unsubstantiated stories about people who are not in the public eye is disgusting.  I hope the author doesn't make a dime from this book.

I'm sure you must mean your comment as protective and a kindness, but accordng to what I've read about the book, most of the individuals who are also dentified by name are "out", including the author.

I imagine the author doesn't feel HER story is unsbstantiated, since she's telling it.

Her book is self published, so it's not likely that she intended to do it for money.

Respected Contributor

I grew up in a small town, I'm 62 years old and it was never a dirty secret about peoples orientation, it just didn't matter, we all minded our own business and didn't make judgements about people.  I really don't care about American Bandstands secret, I watched it for the music.