Super Contributor

Re: American Bandstand secret

While I agree that life was simpler in many ways (grew up in the 50's and 60's), I do not think it was necessarily "better"...

Just think about it - there are many more people in the world today, so it stands to reason there are more "bad" people doing "bad" things...I think the biggest difference is that we are bombarded with information 24-7, so we hear about things around the world immediately.  Years ago, if it wasn't happening in your immediate area, you didn't know about it...now you do.

And, for what it's worth, I knew a girl who was molested by her father for years but it did not come out until she was an adult.  I also knew a boy whose mother hung herself in their basement shortly after her 4th child was born...probably post partum depression, which no one talked about then...or maybe even knew about...so anyone who thinks those things did not happen are deluding themselves....

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

@MoJoV. Good, keep your doors unlocked like we did back in the day.  Don,t protect your devices like computer, iPad, cell phones, etc.  No security home system.  Don,t be aware of your surroundings when you are walking.

I don,t remember our stores having shoot outs or drive by shootings, etc.  I don,t live afraid either, but I now have to be protected and aware.  Also careful to answer phones or e mails because of scams.  Can,t just pick up the phone and talk to someone, two many buttons to press to get a robot.

Like I said it's not perfect, nothing is, and no time period is.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@mollymaggie wrote:

You think that is bad Im not proud to tell you that our St Patricks day parade wouldnt let gay veterens march until the pressure got so bad that people refused to participate  I meant to say I live in the Boston area Just when you think we are getting somewhere  I wont be going this year

Why do they have to be "gay" veterans?  Why can't they just be veterans?

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@mollymaggie wrote:

You think that is bad Im not proud to tell you that our St Patricks day parade wouldnt let gay veterens march until the pressure got so bad that people refused to participate  I meant to say I live in the Boston area Just when you think we are getting somewhere  I wont be going this year

Why do they have to be "gay" veterans?  Why can't they just be veterans?

Exactly!  It isn't like heterosexual 's identify themselves as heterosexual veterans.  Everything is so PC it makes me crazy !!!!

Respected Contributor

Here's is my opinion on the saying "good ole days." When I use that expression, I am only talking about myself ans I can only speak for myself. 

I had a wonderful childhood! I told my mom and dad as much as I could and thanked them for it. I grew up in a rural area and we lived in a very small community with lots of kids to play with. We lived right beside my mammy and pappy. My parents raised 9 kids in total, my mom worked in our home and my dad outside. Was our family perfect, "yes" to me we were. We were loved, fed, disciplined when we needed it and learned how to work and play together. 

I know when I think about the "good ole days" it's because I think back to my childhood and I was never afraid, hungry and never had to "worry" about anything, I was allowed to be a kid. I hope I'm making sense. Is my life always been a bowl of cherries? No, but it's been fine. Did my parents make mistakes, probably, but they took care of everything and that's what I mean when I say "good ole days." 

I remember this show, but I also think "Why, does this need to be made public?" Is someone hard up for money? Let people live their lives as they choose. 

Esteemed Contributor

@wvumountiefan wrote:

Here's is my opinion on the saying "good ole days." When I use that expression, I am only talking about myself ans I can only speak for myself. 

I had a wonderful childhood! I told my mom and dad as much as I could and thanked them for it. I grew up in a rural area and we lived in a very small community with lots of kids to play with. We lived right beside my mammy and pappy. My parents raised 9 kids in total, my mom worked in our home and my dad outside. Was our family perfect, "yes" to me we were. We were loved, fed, disciplined when we needed it and learned how to work and play together. 

I know when I think about the "good ole days" it's because I think back to my childhood and I was never afraid, hungry and never had to "worry" about anything, I was allowed to be a kid. I hope I'm making sense. Is my life always been a bowl of cherries? No, but it's been fine. Did my parents make mistakes, probably, but they took care of everything and that's what I mean when I say "good ole days." 

I remember this show, but I also think "Why, does this need to be made public?" Is someone hard up for money? Let people live their lives as they choose. 

@wvumountiefan. You put that beautifully,  better then I  did,  I agree totally...amen.

Regular Contributor

My Nana & Pop  Pop lived in Philly. I was a young teen at the time and we would go down to the TV station and watch for the regulars. They were like famous to us. Back at home in NY, every day we came right home from school to watch Bandstand and practice our dancing. We were good!! It brought great joy to the teenage set and who in the heck cared about their sexuality. I don't think we knew about that but boy could they dance, Justine & Charlie, Carmella & Bob  to name  a few. Wonderful Fun!!!

Valued Contributor

Every time in history has good and bad. The 60's and 70's were great if you were a certain age. But... remember  the Vietnam War? I was just a bit too young for it to impact me personally. Many of my neighbors and schoolmates were not so fortunate. Back then, in the small town I grew up in, my parents' divorce was the talk of the town ( and the small church we attended). I'll take my life right now! There is no such thing as a wonderful decade. Life is both good and bad, no matter when you are alive. It's your attitude that makes the difference Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Didn't matter to me then, matters much less now. One of the BLESSINGS of being a music major was that as long as you played or sang or wrote or performed well in any way, the rest of your stuff (and we ALL HAD STUFF!) was pretty much not important.

Esteemed Contributor

I said I wasn't afraid= that doesn't mean I'm stupid. You take my comment to the outer reaches of common sense. Jeeeze Louize,relax,@qvcaddiction.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth