Esteemed Contributor

Re: American Bandstand secret

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

What I like about the old days was my grandparents I only had two were alive my mom was alive as she died in 1998 at 57 and I was 42 and there was PEACE, unlocked doors, no diseases like today.........food was better, had more friends like was fun...........it was just easy and music was great.............and it is great now also but I love the 60's and 70's........MOTOWN...........just life was easy no cell phones but phone booths............just so much better than toady I think in many ways.

@DowntonAbbey. That was exactly my point !  Could not agree more !!  The world is a scary place now...felt safe then ,  life has changed a lot in the past 17 yrs,  that's all I'll say about that...

Esteemed Contributor

The world has always been a scary place.

Anybody remember the nuclear drills in school where kids would dive under their desks and cover their heads?

Rapes happened back then.

Kids were molested back then.

Wives were beaten back then.

People were robbed back then.

Kids were beaten back then.

People were openly discriminated against back then.

Yup, those sure were some "good-ol-days" alright.

Esteemed Contributor

I guess there is no way to convince some that the world has never been more dangerous.  I know that we cannot be political on the boards I realize that , so I won't be,  but if some people do t realize what we are dealing with now versus what went on in the past ... Family violence, drunk driving, drug abuse, and all the rest then there will never be any convincing.  I have my opinon and I've stated it.  Good thing about this country , we all are entitled to our opinon.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

The world has always been a scary place.

Anybody remember the nuclear drills in school where kids would dive under their desks and cover their heads?

Rapes happened back then.

Kids were molested back then.

Wives were beaten back then.

People were robbed back then.

Kids were beaten back then.

People were openly discriminated against back then.

Yup, those sure were some "good-ol-days" alright.

People are still discriminated against now,  but not the ones you are referring to.

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore wrote:

I guess there is no way to convince some that the world has never been more dangerous.  I know that we cannot be political on the boards I realize that , so I won't be,  but if some people do t realize what we are dealing with now versus what went on in the past ... Family violence, drunk driving, drug abuse, and all the rest then there will never be any convincing.  I have my opinon and I've stated it.  Good thing about this country , we all are entitled to our opinon.

@Kitty Galore,

There was family violence but no social services network or widespread mental health care to at least tryand deal with the problem.

There was drunk driving but it was not illegal.

The drug abuse in the 60s was much more widespread than it is now and young people were walking out of windows on LSD because they thought they coudl fly.

Someone (not you) upthread said "I love the 60s..."  The 60s had the Vietnam War which I am too young to remember but I know my history and there were widespread protests and how many tens of thousands of young men died and how many others were damaged, not to mention the women and children they killed half a world away.

I know someone who still has PTSD from Vietnam.

The 60s also had the assassinations of a President, his brother and the leading civil rights leader.

Through half the 60s blacks did not even have the right to vote.  There was widespread protesting, rioting and many acts of prejudice which would soon be followed by protesting school integration and rioting.

There has always been incest and sexual abuse and child abuse but it wasn't discussed.  People turned their heads the other way even when they knew about it. 

On and on. 

Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1

Times were simpler for some.  When I think simple, I was a housewife raising children, but not simple when my world fell apart and single with three babies and three part time jobs, no welfare.  

The simpler part is gay people didn,t bother me, I had some in family and friends.  I dated men I knew were gay because they were gentlemen.  I would be taken to dinner with a gentlemen that dress like a fashion model, the best restaurants,  A play and at the end of the evening, a warm hug.  Truly, no hassle.  Most of the time, unless you knew gay people, you didn,t really go looking or realize someone was gay.  I always accepted everyone for who they were as my friend or acquaintance.

Simpler, my kids could play outside, walk to school alone or with friends. W e sat down to dinner together at nights and discussed the day.  No internet. No computers, no cell phones. Can you imagine walking down the street without a PHONE stuck to your ear or looking down all the time, instead looking at the world around you?qqHomework and chores got done,, then TV.  FUN TV, no sex or violence.

I am going to be 81 in a couple of months, so I,m going back to my childhood also.  I did not live in the South, but in San Francisco, where a lot was accepted.  I lived in two different districts that now are very corrupted.  Back then, they were two of the best in SF.  

When you went shopping, not a million brands of whatever item you were looking for, that all did the same thing.  Not the fraud you have to worry about today.  You spoke to one another when you had something to say, either face to face or on the phone.  A voice, not the alphabet typing a text message.  The elderly treated with respect, not a piece of furniture consider useless and dumb, but respected for the worth of their wisdom.

For others it was not so simple. It was not simple during WW 11, but, people were kinder back in the day, children listened to parents whether they agreed or not.  I,m going to stop here saying though It has rough spots, it was a simpler time. in many ways.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Kitty Galore. ITA just said the same.  I,m 81 and grew up in San Francisco.  I do Facebook, stream movies, keep up with the times, but like better in many ways back in the day.  We were not stressed like people today that never get unconnected from devices.  

Esteemed Contributor

Let's just say we've come along way, but we have a long way to go.  

And I don't agree "the world's a scary place."  The good outweighs the bad and I'm not afraid. Will not live my life scared.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

@QVCkitty1

Times were simpler for some.  When I think simple, I was a housewife raising children, but not simple when my world fell apart and single with three babies and three part time jobs, no welfare.  

The simpler part is gay people didn,t bother me, I had some in family and friends.  I dated men I knew were gay because they were gentlemen.  I would be taken to dinner with a gentlemen that dress like a fashion model, the best restaurants,  A play and at the end of the evening, a warm hug.  Truly, no hassle.  Most of the time, unless you knew gay people, you didn,t really go looking or realize someone was gay.  I always accepted everyone for who they were as my friend or acquaintance.

Simpler, my kids could play outside, walk to school alone or with friends. W e sat down to dinner together at nights and discussed the day.  No internet. No computers, no cell phones. Can you imagine walking down the street without a PHONE stuck to your ear or looking down all the time, instead looking at the world around you?qqHomework and chores got done,, then TV.  FUN TV, no sex or violence.

I am going to be 81 in a couple of months, so I,m going back to my childhood also.  I did not live in the South, but in San Francisco, where a lot was accepted.  I lived in two different districts that now are very corrupted.  Back then, they were two of the best in SF.  

When you went shopping, not a million brands of whatever item you were looking for, that all did the same thing.  Not the fraud you have to worry about today.  You spoke to one another when you had something to say, either face to face or on the phone.  A voice, not the alphabet typing a text message.  The elderly treated with respect, not a piece of furniture consider useless and dumb, but respected for the worth of their wisdom.

For others it was not so simple. It was not simple during WW 11, but, people were kinder back in the day, children listened to parents whether they agreed or not.  I,m going to stop here saying though It has rough spots, it was a simpler time. in many ways.  

To me I look at the same opportunities that are available today. No era is perfect, but I had family members that would be alive today, with the advances in medicine.We have access to so much information, and the attitudes of many people about racial and diversity in general are so much more accepting. Simple is comforting, but democracy is messy and confrontational, and so much better than the alternatives. JMO.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@MoJoV. Good, keep your doors unlocked like we did back in the day.  Don,t protect your devices like computer, iPad, cell phones, etc.  No security home system.  Don,t be aware of your surroundings when you are walking.

I don,t remember our stores having shoot outs or drive by shootings, etc.  I don,t live afraid either, but I now have to be protected and aware.  Also careful to answer phones or e mails because of scams.  Can,t just pick up the phone and talk to someone, two many buttons to press to get a robot.