Valued Contributor

Re: American Bandstand secret

You think that is bad Im not proud to tell you that our St Patricks day parade wouldnt let gay veterens march until the pressure got so bad that people refused to participate  I meant to say I live in the Boston area Just when you think we are getting somewhere  I wont be going this year

Honored Contributor

@mollybgood,   Are you saying that the guys were gay and the girls were lesbians? 

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@mollybgood,   Are you saying that the guys were gay and the girls were lesbians? 

@Katcat1

The tell-all book the guy is publishing states that a number were.

♥chocolate lover ♦ audiobook junkie♥
Esteemed Contributor

@JaneMarple Kitty Galore wrote:

you ask easier for who?  Well I feel it was for me,  we didn't have all these issues and problems ,  life was simple no cell phones, computers, terrorism etc.  kids could stay out past dark and play in the neighborhoods without the fear of abduction or worse.  People actually talked and didn't just text each other,  society has lost the social skills.  Maybe it's because I grew up in a small town and it was safe and everyone knew everyone I don't know ,  but I sometimes long for those old days and the simpler times.   I do realize that maybe it wasn't as good for every young person ,  but compared to now Imo I'm glad I was young then.  

@Kitty Galore you were very fortunate to have lived in a small town but many of the problems we have today DID exist back then too but wasn't known to everyone!

Terrorism, bigotry, heroin, unwed mothers, juvenile problems, social diseases, alcoholism, war, protests, riots, crime, corruption etc. All of the above existed back then too.

@JaneMarple. I can certainly agree with pretty much all you wrote except terrorism,  at least it in our country.  It did happen in other countries such as Germany or Isarel for example ?  But the US was safe ,  not anymore terrorism is in every state now .  Do not wan to be political, but didn't have  to be.    Yes, I was fortunate  to live in a small town growing up  and I hsve always been thankful for that.  Wish all children could have that.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

If they were gay, at that age they probably didn't even know it!! I don't care if they were or not-they sure could dance.

@Judaline, , with all due respect every single gay person I've ever talked to about it has said they knew from the time they could formulate thoughts that they were attracted to the same sex. To paraphrase Gaga, they were born that way.

So true. The ones who didn't know or weren't sure usually say it's because of social constraints and the pressure not to be gay that they maintained they were straight into adulthood, even getting married and having kids to try to conform, despite never being happy. I know quite a few people who weren't comfortable being their true selves until they were adults and divorced. 

Honored Contributor

I have to agree with you.   I grew up in a relatively small blue collar town in the 50s & 60s and it wasn't all rainbows & unicorns.   The men worked hard, long hours, many of them became sick or injured on the job.    The rest of them would hit the bar after work and drive home drunk, often running over kids, dogs and causing accidents of all kinds.   

It wasn't just those who were gay that had to protect their reputation.    So did pregnant teenagers and single moms of all ages.    Many women stayed in horrible relationships for many reasons.   Personally, I escaped as soon as I could.   I moved to a city with more opportunities.

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Kitty Galore wrote:

you ask easier for who?  Well I feel it was for me,  we didn't have all these issues and problems ,  life was simple no cell phones, computers, terrorism etc.  kids could stay out past dark and play in the neighborhoods without the fear of abduction or worse.  People actually talked and didn't just text each other,  society has lost the social skills.  Maybe it's because I grew up in a small town and it was safe and everyone knew everyone I don't know ,  but I sometimes long for those old days and the simpler times.   I do realize that maybe it wasn't as good for every young person ,  but compared to now Imo I'm glad I was young then.  

@Kitty Galore you were very fortunate to have lived in a small town but many of the problems we have today DID exist back then too but wasn't known to everyone!

Terrorism, bigotry, heroin, unwed mothers, juvenile problems, social diseases, alcoholism, war, protests, riots, crime, corruption etc. All of the above existed back then too.

Honored Contributor

@mollybgood     It really doesn't matter what everyone was but why a book now in this day & age.  Who cares?  I won't be running out to buy the book. Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@mollybgood wrote:

Apparently many of the young people on the show were gay.   Clark knew and was afraid if the viewers knew they would change the dial.  Arlene (the Arlene & Kenny couple) is gay, for instance. Justine and Bob were my favorite couple.

@mollybgood

If that's the biggest so-called "secret" this guy has to offer,  he sure won't sell many books.

Gay people are everywhere, in just about every cross section of any group you can think of.   Always have been.  

This is very old news ...

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I watched AB but I honestly did not pay attention to the dancers/audience I just wanted to see who was the guest. 

There were many other "secrets" back then that had to be kept quiet or hidden like pregnancy, disabilities, mental illness, drug addiction, etc.;  the same things that are pretty much in the open today.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

My response to the "shocking" news that some of the dancers were gay is, "Yeah? So? What's your point?"

Back in the "good-ol-days" that people love to look back fondly on, while wearing rose colored glasses, in every town no matter how big or small there were families where one or both parent were alcoholics, the wife and/or kids were beaten, the kids were molested.

Homes were broken in to, people were robbed.

People drove drunk, and injured or killed innocents while doing so.

There was very little recourse if a woman wanted to leave an abusive relationship.

Girls became pregnant outside of marriage.

Yup, those sure were some "good-ol-days" alright.