Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Empire: The Rise and Reign of Jeff Bezos 2/18 PBS's FRONTLINE

I'm not crazy about him either, although I was rather impressed recently when I heard he is donating a huge amount of money to do something to fix climate change.  funny there hasn't been more publicity about it.  I think I read it on the CNN website.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
Is this available on Amazon?😜😄

@Pearlee

You can see this program on YouTube. 

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:
Is this available on Amazon?😜😄

@Pearlee

You can see this program on YouTube. 

@Nuttmeg   I was just making a wisecrack.  

Honored Contributor

I got it! Woman Very Happy@Pearlee 

Respected Contributor

I thought this was very interesting.  A lot I knew about, but I learned more details.

To me, there is a good side and a dark side to Amazon.  

One thing that changed my view of Bezos is an event that happened in Seattle a couple of years ago.

Seattle has a very bad homeless problem, and the city council voted to impose a "head tax" on the very wealthiest companies in Seattle, to help raise funds for more shelters and other services.  The head tax was going to be about $50 per employee.(companies pay based on the # of employees they have.)

Again, this was going to be taxed on the very biggest and wealthiest of companies.

Amazon spearheaded the effort to shoot it down, and because they have unlimited funds to pursue this, and the city does not, the city backed down.

It disappointed me because this tax would have been chump change to Amazon, and it would have really provided needed funds to help the city.

The city...where Bezos built his company and got lots of tax breaks, where he used the infrastructure to build his wealth.

Yes, he employs people, but part of the problem is that because of big tech companies like Amazon, a lot of the real estate and housing in the Seattle area has become unaffordable for most people.  And yes, I know that a lot of homelessness is driven by addiction issues and mental health issues, but a lot of that is in turn driven by despair and loss of jobs, housing, etc.

I'm not against people making their fortunes, but I do think that at some point, they need to provide a little more for the cities and states where they built their business, on the backs of tax breaks and subsidies.

Anyway, that's my view on Amazon.  Brilliant in one way, but a dark side on the other.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

@Marienkaefer2 

I'm a bit concerned about the impact a fulfilment center will have on my city.  They have already broken ground and will employ 1,000 people. Not only will it bring new jobs directly tied to Amazon, but it will spark new satellite businesses around town. My city is already congested, housing is scant and expensive.  IDK...maybe I'm being too over-reactive about Amazon moving onto my town.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee"My city is already congested, housing is scant and expensive.

You don't think that most of the 1000 new hires will be from your own town?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@SilleeMee"My city is already congested, housing is scant and expensive.

You don't think that most of the 1000 new hires will be from your own town?

@Mz iMac 

I don't really know. Right now there are a lot of people moving here from all over the place. Colorado Springs is ranked up high, if not the number one place for most desirable place to live. People are living in cars and motorhomes while they look for work here. There are plenty of jobs here but not enough housing. People who have jobs probably won't be the ones to take Amazon jobs. I really think people will come from outside the city because they come here looking to 'strike gold' just so they can live here and I don't blame them one bit...it's a beautiful city.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee 

@SilleeMee wrote:

I don't really know. Right now there are a lot of people moving here from all over the place. Colorado Springs is ranked up high, if not the number one place for most desirable place to live. People are living in cars and motorhomes while they look for work here. There are plenty of jobs here but not enough housing. People who have jobs probably won't be the ones to take Amazon jobs. I really think people will come from outside the city because they come here looking to 'strike gold' just so they can live here and I don't blame them one bit...it's a beautiful city.

@SilleeMee

Most of the jobs in the fulfillment center will be done by local workers.

The town or city fathers are under pressure to bring tax dollars and jobs to a community. Where are the Sears and Macys' when we need them. One simple word, closed.