Esteemed Contributor

Outbreak Prompts CBS to Shut Production of Amazing Race

The closings to prevent the spread of the new coronavirus have reached reality TV. CBS announced Friday that it has stopped production of the next season of The Amazing Race, CNN reports, and sent everyone home

"No Racers or anyone on the production team travelling with them have contracted the virus, or shown symptoms," the network said in a statement, "and we are not aware of anyone being exposed to it." The contestants and production employees will be monitored for signs of the virus after their return, CBS said.

Three shows had been filmed. The Amazing Race films all over the world, and the racers were in Scotland when they were told of the shutdown, per the Los Angeles Times. A date for resuming production wasn't announced.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

This makes sense. So many variables will be popping up.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Re: Amazing Race on Hold

[ Edited ]

Freddie Highmore and Aidan Turner have been filming on location in Italy since December and meant to continue into the spring. They were in Northern Italy, Mantua, when the health ministry, or whatever it's called, canceled it. Unlike TAR they can't just resume filming later since not all the actors will be available. 

Honored Contributor

It's probably for the best.

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure how you resume a show like TAR once you stop taping for any period of time. The contestants would now know one another a bit and could form alliances and whatnot privately and then help one another when the race resumes. Now, alliances aren't overly powerful in TAR, but we have seen them play a role before. The purity of the show (if you want to call it purity) might just be irreparably damaged for this cast and this season. Some may not even want to resume the filming and would opt-out. How much time can you take off work for a reality show? Can you plug in replacements three weeks into the show? It's going to be a bit awkward, at best, for CBS and the production company to try and sort this out. They might just have to start over with a new cast.

If they can't finish production then it opens up a slot in the CBS fall lineup that will have to be filled. A fall version of Big Brother again? Big Brother houseguests are all locked up and isolated so contamination would be less of an issue. It's the perfect show for a pandemic. (Though I'm not sure what we're seeing is really a pandemic.)

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Regular Contributor

It makes sense to stop and delay the taping as a precaution.  But they do have a whole season (32) that was taped in Nov-Dec of 2018 that has not even aired yet. And there is no indication of when it will be aired as far as I can tell. 

Honored Contributor

@Josmad wrote:

It makes sense to stop and delay the taping as a precaution.  But they do have a whole season (32) that was taped in Nov-Dec of 2018 that has not even aired yet. And there is no indication of when it will be aired as far as I can tell. 

Welcome, Josmad!  I like that you found facts before spinning scenarios about replacing it with another show.

TAR in the last few years has turned into a we-have-one-on-ice-we'll-put-it-in-wherever show.  Not regularly scheduled.  Was glad to read they have one done and ready to go.

And I believe they can resume taping 33 if/when this cools off which it's showing no sign of.  Alliances don't matter much in TAR, I don't think it plays any role in why people watch, they watch for the locations and challenges.