Trusted Contributor

Re: Alzheimer's on 60 Minutes -- did anybody see this?

Hi @Judaline

I had been taking a couple differnt types.

I started with Youtheory turmeric tablet purchased from Costco. They were 450 mg of turmeric and also contained the necessary black pepper too. I liked this tablet because it did not upset my stomach or esophogus. The dietician I was seeing gave this tablet high marks.

Then I bought a combo of 720 mg turmeric and tart cherry extract from Puritan's Pride. That's a double-whammy against inflamation. The problem is that it's a capsule and gave me burning feeling in my esophogus. So I now open the capsule, sprinkle and misx about 1/2 of it into my morning cereal.

I want to go back to the Youtheory tablets but just discovered that Costco is now selling this brand in a capsule format. :-(

With either brand, I no longer feel the arthretic stiffness in my neck. I'm back to feeling normal. Hope that helps you. Turmeric and tart cherry has been discussed quite a bit in the Wellness forum here.

Honored Contributor

@sandraskates

Thank you for this valuable information!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

My DH was diagnosed with ALZ at age 62, but the symptoms were there several years earlier.  He was a very smart man (PhD) and rarely took time off from his work.  He played football in high school and college.  No one in his family that we know of ever had ALZ. Could it be hereditary?  Or was it his Type A personality?  Or could it have been hard hits from football?  Maybe all three?  We will never know,  My prayer is for a cure, just as it with Type 1 Diabetes, which my grown son suffers from. Again, no one on either side of our families suffers from this.  So much about our bodies we still don't know.  My thanks go out to those in the medical field who spend their lives trying to unlock these secrets.

Valued Contributor

Lovestoteach, I didn't watch the video you posted, but my understanding is that brain scans do not show placques. My DH fell and hit his head one time, taken to the emergency room and they did a scan to see if he was ok.  I asked about it, and the nurse said that kind of thing (placques) didn't show up. I guess it would have to be an MRI.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A friend of mine is a writer of medical books. She's written about about Alzheimier's and it's a very good and informative read for anyone who wants to know more about this disease including finding facilities for care and treatment.  Amazon or elaine-moore dot com. Encyclopedia of Alzheimer's Disease. I worked with this woman for many years and she knows her stuff. 

I missed the 60 Minutes show.