Regular Contributor

Re: Alzheimer's: Every Minute Counts - PBS - Jan 25

Yes, I saw this.  It was very thought-provoking and scary to think about the future.  My mom has alzheimer's and was in nursing home from Oct til 2 weeks ago.  It was only available place near her home (PA) and care was abysmal.  Dad removed her and has nurse aide, OT and PT come to their home.

For my future, want to make sure I'm living in an area where there are good facilities with availability.  It was frightful in that PBS show that Rhode Island has built no new Alz facilities since 1996 (or was it 1993?)  Are they just thinking this disease will go away?

Seannie

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Luvitorleaveit1 wrote:

Wow that is a lot of money.  My job is having our insurance vendor come in and do a meeting about Long Term Disability insurance next month which I am seriously thinking about getting now that I am still employed but I want to find out more info like the cost while I'm still employed and after I retire in a few years.  My dad passed away a few years ago and now my mom is in a nursing home with senile dementia and in a wheelchair because her legs are very weak; when they and many of my other elder relatives brought their homes back in the 1950's nobody thought that the multi-level homes would become their enemy as they aged.  Not all homes are easily able to be converted to accomodate the disabled or the costs now a days.  At least my mom and my dad are within 10-15 minutes of where I live so that I could visit as much as I want to.

@Luvitorleaveit1,

You are very wise to seek info about long term insurance before you retire. Good for you! 

About living in a multi-level home....I am right now and it has been a concern of mine that started many years ago when I became disabled with scleroderma which can lead to immobility. So far things have not gotten that far but it hasn't changed the way I feel about living in a trap. I would love to stay here until the end but this means being alone the whole time and that can become a problem if health issues become problematic. Alzheimer's or other dementia can happen to anyone and I know living here alone won't be possible if it happens to me. I'm currently working on a ramp for my back deck so I can still enjoy my yard if I want to when and if the time comes. The money is here and now is the time to prepare.

@Luvitorleaveit1 wrote:

I live in a multi-level home as well and think about it a lot as well so I commend you for taking action before anything happens I also thought of the ramp and possibly the Acorn stairlifts that may be needed down the road.  All the best to you.

Honored Contributor

@Seannie wrote:

Yes, I saw this.  It was very thought-provoking and scary to think about the future.  My mom has alzheimer's and was in nursing home from Oct til 2 weeks ago.  It was only available place near her home (PA) and care was abysmal.  Dad removed her and has nurse aide, OT and PT come to their home.

For my future, want to make sure I'm living in an area where there are good facilities with availability.  It was frightful in that PBS show that Rhode Island has built no new Alz facilities since 1996 (or was it 1993?)  Are they just thinking this disease will go away?

Seannie

Wasn't the building of new facilities halted because of the lack of funding from the government? I think RI simply ran out of money and needed any of the existing money to go for other areas other than the low-priority care facilities. Yup, they surely were short-sighted with this. Now it's become an overwhelming task on where to get care. That part in show about how some family members drive to the ER on drop off their afflicted family member then drive away hoping they get taken care of in the hospital. That was so very heartbreaking to see! And how caretakers suffer along with their Alzheimer's family members. It's very sad and getting worse.

Esteemed Contributor

I turned it off.  It was beyond depressing, it scared the heck out of me.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Luvitorleaveit1 wrote:

Wow that is a lot of money.  My job is having our insurance vendor come in and do a meeting about Long Term Disability insurance next month which I am seriously thinking about getting now that I am still employed but I want to find out more info like the cost while I'm still employed and after I retire in a few years.  My dad passed away a few years ago and now my mom is in a nursing home with senile dementia and in a wheelchair because her legs are very weak; when they and many of my other elder relatives brought their homes back in the 1950's nobody thought that the multi-level homes would become their enemy as they aged.  Not all homes are easily able to be converted to accomodate the disabled or the costs now a days.  At least my mom and my dad are within 10-15 minutes of where I live so that I could visit as much as I want to.

Long term care insurance doesn't cover much - and to get the paperwork going is a royal pain. The insurance companies make it very difficult for you - I truly feel they want people to throw their hands up in the air and forget about it. I was determined and didn't waiver- if you have someone who is as stubborn as me (at times!) go for it! But it's not a seamless transition when it comes to having the need.

Honored Contributor

quick-facts-2016.jpg

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Seannie wrote:

Seannie

Wasn't the building of new facilities halted because of the lack of funding from the government? I think RI simply ran out of money and needed any of the existing money to go for other areas other than the low-priority care facilities. Yup, they surely were short-sighted with this. Now it's become an overwhelming task on where to get care. That part in show about how some family members drive to the ER on drop off their afflicted family member then drive away hoping they get taken care of in the hospital. That was so very heartbreaking to see! And how caretakers suffer along with their Alzheimer's family members. It's very sad and getting worse.

it was New Hampsire not Rhode Island. New Hampshire attracted a mass migration mainly from Massachusetts in the 70s due to no state or income taxes and less regulation.   people could get  more  property  in NH yet an easy drive to MA for their well-paying jobs

Rhode Island's population is shrinking by the second