Honored Contributor

Re: All things DAYS, wk of 10/09

@Judaline wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

I have never seen anyone on social media agree on anything about DAYS the way people agree that RSW is amazing and he's stealing the show with his intense, perfect performances.

As I said, a Method actor. I like the idea of a twin. One he didn't know he had till the twin saw his picture in the paper and came to Salem to learn more about him. And Clyde, well, I don't know how he can be explained. 

@Judaline, I meant to google it the first time you said it and now I have -- "Method actor" -- and I'm confused about it.  I guess I didn't know there were different types of acting and I don't understand "Method" so please splain?  

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Judaline, I meant to google it the first time you said it and now I have -- "Method actor" -- and I'm confused about it.  I guess I didn't know there were different types of acting and I don't understand "Method" so please splain?  

This is all it means, lori. Brando was a prime example of method acting:

The Stanislavski method or system is a set of techniques used by actors to portray emotions on stage by putting themselves in the place of the character.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

This writer is doing neat things with flashbacks.  Someone will ask "what happened" and the screen will split and show the flashback.  If they show Will's death this way, it could be very interesting.

@AuntG, agree about the flashbacks and Chandler has said they re-shot Will's death and I'm really looking forward to it. 

When Clyde started talking about it I stopped rolling my eyes for a minute -- this is now a bona fide mystery.  And I was thinking, it's so great not to know everything and not to see it all coming ten miles away!!!

But we do know, don't we? It was in a spoiler. 

Spoiler
Didn't they say it wasn't Will who was strangled, but a look alike? How they'll explain it is really dragging out. This was a spoiler I read here.
Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

This is all it means, lori. Brando was a prime example of method acting:

The Stanislavski method or system is a set of techniques used by actors to portray emotions on stage by putting themselves in the place of the character.

@Judaline, thanks, and herein lies exactly the source of my confusion:  Isn't that just plain old acting?  Isn't that what every actor has to do? Isn't that plain old acting?  What aren't I getting?  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Judaline wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

This writer is doing neat things with flashbacks.  Someone will ask "what happened" and the screen will split and show the flashback.  If they show Will's death this way, it could be very interesting.

@AuntG, agree about the flashbacks and Chandler has said they re-shot Will's death and I'm really looking forward to it. 

When Clyde started talking about it I stopped rolling my eyes for a minute -- this is now a bona fide mystery.  And I was thinking, it's so great not to know everything and not to see it all coming ten miles away!!!

But we do know, don't we? It was in a spoiler. 

Spoiler
Didn't they say it wasn't Will who was strangled, but a look alike? How they'll explain it is really dragging out. This was a spoiler I read here.

@Judaline, that was what I read, not sure if it was spoiler or speculation.  I don't think it's dragging out, I like the pace.  Clyde showing up helped too, and color me intrigued.  The spoiler is obvious and could be a clever guess, but even if it's true how do they get from here to there?

I read a spoiler that is so mind-blowing and mind-numbing and so horrible I don't dare post it.  It's crazytown and I hope it's not true.  We'll know very soon, I'm wondering if even before Sami comes on Friday.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori  It's kind of like sympathy/empathy. One is so much more than the other, you know? Acting is like pretending, play acting, while method is being that person, thinking what he would do, but doing it so that people don't even realize that you are acting. I remember watching Brando when I read how he studied under Stella Adler and also Elia Kazan. I got interested and read up on it but it mostly was too deep for me. But when I'd watch him, I got it. He would do these weird things, like scratch himself while he spoke his lines, hahaha. You know, like a normal person would do. James Dean did stuff like that, too. Anyway, you get the idea. It's more than acting.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Judaline, that was what I read, not sure if it was spoiler or speculation.  I don't think it's dragging out, I like the pace.  Clyde showing up helped too, and color me intrigued.  The spoiler is obvious and could be a clever guess, but even if it's true how do they get from here to there?

I read a spoiler that is so mind-blowing and mind-numbing and so horrible I don't dare post it.  It's crazytown and I hope it's not true.  We'll know very soon, I'm wondering if even before Sami comes on Friday.

Wow, you have my attention! But don't tell me, I don't want to know. But if it doesn't come true, I'd like to know what you read, OK? 

Honored Contributor

I'm having such a time trying to post. I have to do it like 3x before it comes up so if you see my post 3x, you'll know I didn't mean it!

Esteemed Contributor

Method acting is actually becoming that character.  Joe was a method actor.  He became Stefano, even talking with the accent while not filming.  Once they step on the set, they ARE that person.  Some method actors even take it home with them. 

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:

Method acting is actually becoming that character.  Joe was a method actor.  He became Stefano, even talking with the accent while not filming.  Once they step on the set, they ARE that person.  Some method actors even take it home with them. 

Aha!  Thanks, @Judaline, and @MamaWick, now I understand.  Great example, Joe.

And like Heath Ledger when he was playing The Joker.