Honored Contributor

Re: All things DAYS, wk of 09/04

So it has "wobbled" (the word they usually use) to the west -- lower keys and on to Naples/Ft. Myers.  It will wobble again and again and who knows where it will end up.

Right now it's in Cuba, the main storm is in Cuba -- and here in Broward we have the front piece of it.  It's that big.  In Cuba and here at the same time.  Which is why it will be in Naples and here at the same time wherever it makes landfall. 

It just got here this morning.  Hurricane-force winds expected tonight, that's when you lose power and the trees fall like fainting goats (that reference is for whoever compared Angelica dying to a fainting goat, can't remember who).

@BarbiHollywoodlives in Tampa, inland, and if it stays on this course she will get a lot more than she expected.  So Barbi, thinking of you.

@twinsister, you probably know this but as of now your friend is in the most peril.  Ft. Myers + trailer park = worst case scenario unless it moves east again.   Glad they're evacuating but I don't know if this is their first hurricane, I'll be shocked (and delighted) if they're back home Tuesday and hope they have a home to go to.  Again, roads with trees down, live wires.  Is this their first hurricane?

@SophiaMarie, she posted it here, that's how I learned of it, so I'm not posting some private thing and I'm posting it so those worried about her can check -- she lives in the  very lovely Village of Pinecrest, assuming she still lives there.  Where it's situated is a lot more worrisome than where I am.  It's in the evacuation zone so she's hopefully safe wherever she is...

Lots of people left the state before the flights sold out and the airports closed.  I imagine it's torture not knowing what condition your home is in, you're told to pack the most valuable things but you can't show up in a shelter or on a plane with much of your life in suitcases...

Looking outside I can't even believe this is the first blush.  And it's so hard because it makes landfall in Naples/Ft. Myers we're still on the "dirty" side where the tornados and squalls and thunderstorms are.  But Twin's friend -- no words.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline, what brought you to North Miami?  I always assumed (stupid of me) you were born and bred in Ohio.  Did you like it there?  

Honored Contributor

I miss DAYS.  If we have lights tonight (and tonight comes the hurricane winds)  I'm watching yesterday's episode first and then Thursday's, they sound like the best; is that right?  

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori  The waiting must be awful. 

When my dad died, my mom wanted to sell the house and move to FL. She still had my brother to care for. My kids were little and she said she couldn't imagine not seeing the kids grow up and would we come, too? We decided to do it. So we went and stayed for a year and a half-loved it. I must admit I missed the seasons. Christmas shopping at Burdines just wasn't the same! I still loved it because I always loved FL-it was 'where the boys are!' But DH couldn't get work. Before all our money was gone, we headed back. Kind of embarrassing when our friends threw a big going away party for us, complete with gifts. So we kind of came back with our tail between our legs, lol. I feel like doing it again, but like everyone says, 'we have family here' and they don't leave. It would be selfish of us to leave now but the winters which I used to love are a little bit much for me anymore. I just can't shake the chill. 

Speaking of leaving, I guess you were unable to flee? Do you know to go into a closet or bathroom when it hits? I know you know-dunno why I asked such a dumb question. 

God bless, lori.

Esteemed Contributor

Thinking of all our dear DAYSies in the path of Irma and Jose.
My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori - My friend retired to Fort Myers over 15 years ago, so this is not her first hurricane.

Will keep praying for all of you - stay safe and please, whenever you can keep us posted.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline, I got choked up reading that!  You're a beautiful person.  The party part is funny.  I'm sure they were so happy to see you back.  It's a service economy here so whatever your husband does they probably don't do it here, sigh...

Spring vacation senior year of high school my BFFs and I came down here to Ft. Lauderdale.  (BTW The Elbow Room is still here and was open last night LOL.)  We stayed on the beach.  Had a blast.  This one friend was totally unrealistically romantic, and we played a joke on her which still makes me laugh, I'm laughing as I type this -- she fell asleep and we got this guy to watch till she woke up and then come over and draw a question mark in the sand.  Etc. etc. that scene from "Where the Boys Are."  She fell for it.  She was mad.  Hahahahahahahaha.

Honored Contributor

The storm:

Where we are is not an evacuation zone.   We're inland.  I'd rather be in a high-rise where the windows move with the wind, build to pre-Andrew standards but so are tens of thousands of structures. 

The elevator here is shut down already by order of the city.   Pretty soon the garbage bins will fill up and then we'll be told we have to keep the garbage in our apartment.   The things one doesn't even think about until it happens.   A feels-like temperature of 110 and no AC.   Cold showers, eating cold soup from the can.

But at least I think we'll probably have a home which is more than unimaginable numbers of people will have -- and then there's Houston, and I fear they're being forgottennow.

It's so unreal. Just saw someone in Hollywood, speaking of Hollywood, a reporter being blown by the wind.   Not ready yet!   Ch. 10's Key West cam temporarily has gone out.  First tornado warning.  This is nothing yet!!!

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori  I have a long way to go before I become the beautiful person you think I am. But thank you for thinking that!

I'm getting a clearer picture now of your plight. So you think you can ride it out, you will still have a home (with garbage in it) and some cold soup (oh, well, think of people who have no soup is all I can suggest here) but you and your mum are going to be OK. That's what I like to hear! 

The Elbo Room lives! So glad to hear it, altho I don't think Woody Woodbury does. He was a card. Good times. (are the rumors true-we can't go back?) boo hoo

Good luck, lori. Vaya con Dios even tho you aren't going anywhere. Love your posts. Will be waiting for the next one. Tonite is our Saturday night at the movies (at home) but I'll check afterwards, lol.

Honored Contributor

Heart   @Judaline

We're not in the "danger zone" but it's all danger zone with an unprecedented storm this size.  We live inland.  Wilma was a freak thing, us getting the eye wall; that won't happen this time.  Whoever gets the eye wall gets the absolute worst the storm can bring their way.  Terrifying.  And then the eye is weird, the sun came out, and then more eye wall.  Surreal.

We have to ride it out.  They can't accomodate 5 million people.  Many shelters are full anyway and people sorry they didn't leave are out of luck.  The shelters -- and who knows what each of them can withstand, which I guess is why many are concrete-built schools -- are for those who are in the most danger.  That's not us.

Yes, yes, yes to the cold soup.  What concerns me is how with smaller Wilma the water poured in the back windows and the living room and mom's bedroom have big windows.  There was no holding it back but it didn't last long.  If the wind comes in the back again it will be...unimagineable.

Cold soup and garbage will be a luxury, yes, absolutely.