Honored Contributor

All the Way from "Camelot", to "Fiddler on the Roof", TCM Tomorrow!

[ Edited ]

6:00 a.m. Eastern-- "Camelot"--  Dreamy interpretation of the King Arthur legend, which does have elements of historical fact mixed in, I think.  I happen to love the medieval period, and this set piece on the mythical place called "Camelot" in long ago central Britain (was it supposed to be around the 5th century A.D.,  history majors? Can never quite remember) and its inhabitants, has a gossamer charm (although I've never seen it all the way through).  Interesting casting too, of Richard Harris and a young Vanessa Redgrave.  Romantic.

8:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Fiddler On the Roof"--  As a teenager, I loved the "Fiddler On the Roof" musical and played the cast album over and over--  "Sunrise, Sunset",   "Do You Looo-ve Me?"   "If I Were a Rich Man",  et al.  It must have been of the Broadway production, though-- with Zero Mostel?   This filmed version has the interesting Israeli actor Topol cast as Tevye, and it has comic actor Leonard Frey as well.  The story of the Jewish villagers in the middle of the vast cruel Russian steppes has a universal grip, the people are so real and so universally recognizable, and who can resist that music?  Deftly directed by the eclectic Canadian director, Norman Jewison.

Honored Contributor

Re: All the Way from "Camelot", to "Fiddler on the Roof", TCM!

[ Edited ]

@Oznell-

I loved them both! I thought Camelot was so sad. My mother had the record of the show and I had the music book.

She took us and my grandparents and sister to see Fiddler on the Roof when it first came out!

My  maternal grandparents escaped from Russia spearately on a boat-he was 17 and half his family had been killed. I could hear him upstairs in his room crying and looking at the pictures of his family.

My grandmother was younger.

Anyway, seeing that show was something I'll never forget and especially seeing it with my grandfather.

I can't imagine anyone aside from Zero Mostel playing Tevya.

But I don't see it tonight on TCM eatern at 8pmSmiley Sad

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

When Camelot came out , I fell in love with the music and Richard Harris.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@on the bay, what a harrowing, searing experience for your grandparents-- stories like that bring that aspect of history so clearly to us...

Thanks for mentioning the time thing-- it is tomorrow that these movies are on.  I will fix right now!

Occasional Contributor

Re: All the Way from "Camelot", to "Fiddler on the Roof", TCM Tomorrow!

Thank you Oznell. The last thing I expected on QVC blog was up coming movies.

Tomorrow morning is the 4th year since my husband passed away. I'll be wide awake.

We were Arthur & Guinevere for Halloween eons ago. I'm certain it's going to help my heart. Our costumes were the real deal ! 3 parties that weekend and we won best costume x 3😂💖😍 again, Thank You ! !

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This film, then, has special meaning for you, @amtgal.  I bet you two were a stunning and memorable Arthur and Guinivere.

Honored Contributor

I loved Camelot so much, and Richard Harris. He put that beautiful, melodious voice to song! The movie caused me to buy the MacArthur Park album which I played over and over. "Here I am, a tramp shining." Whew, loved that voice.

Honored Contributor

Camelot is one of my favorite musicals.  I saw Richard Burton play Arthur at Lincoln Center many years ago.  In the movie I love Vanessa Redgrave, one of my favorite actresses and the music from Lerner and Lowe is first rate.  Love If Ever I Would Leave you!  Wonderful movie!

Honored Contributor

Oznell, I also see that Oliver is on today.  Another one of my favorite musicals.  Best picture winner and great music.  

Honored Contributor

Fiddler on the Roof is one of my all time favorite musicals.  Smiley Happy

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.