Honored Contributor

Re: 👍🏾 All In The Family & The Jeffersons **REBOOT** 👍🏾

@deepwaterdotter  I totally agree.  I've heard comedians who have medical problems say even they have some difficulty getting people to laugh (while they make fun of their limitations).

They've said it's as if people are AFRAID to laugh...like it might not be right to laugh.

https://www.dailydot.com/via/disabled-comedians-youtube/

The headline reads:

7 reasons you should be watching disabled comedians on YouTube

Trusted Contributor

Well what did everyone think?

All in the Family is one of my all time favorite programs and I still watch re-runs in hysterics.  I didn't expect much from the reboot but it was worse than I thought.  No one but no one can achieve what Carroll O'Connor and Edith Stapleton were able to do as Archie and Edith. Even Rob Reiner's and Sally Struthers' fill ins were way off the mark IMO.  They should have let things be.

I am extremely familiar with the episodes and know a lot of the dialogue and they all blew it -- the voices, the expressions, the timing. The New York accents were horrible, Marisa Tomei's acting and voice only made Edith a joke.  Woody Harrelson was bizarre as Archie.  Jamie Fox was the only one who did a fairly good job with George Jefferson.  He made a good effort to get George's speech and gestures down.

The only other bright spots were Jennifer Hudson singing and Marla Gibbs returning.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was surprised , but I enjoyed it . I think most did a good job of impersonating .  I felt Sean Hayes portrayal in All in the Family's  production wasn't very good --it took me a while to recall the character. All were a bit overboard but as a one time production and being live I thought it was entertaining. It all was worth it to hear Jennifer Hudson singing the Jefferson's theme song ! As one of the cast (Jimmy Kimmel --host ?) said " one of the best show songs ever."

I was glad to see Marla Gibbs also.

Trusted Contributor

I ddn't like Woody in that roll. At times I felt like he was doing a southern accent. I thought Marisa Tomei was pretty good but she seemed too young for the role to me. I thought all the people from the Jefferson's were well cast and did make me laugh. Marla Gibbs as Florence was a nice treat and I loved the Jackee connection. I like that they went with the original scripts but it's a little weird when these are iconic characters and you can only picture them with the originals. Makes me want to go back and watch the old ones again for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

I am a great fan of All in the Family. I’ve watched many original episodes countless times. I tuned in to watch the remake of AITF and the Jeffersons. The latter was tolerable. The former was atrocious. You can’t go home again. The overacting, the phony NY accents, the 70s references all fell flat. I cannot imagine why ABC did this. Honor Norman Lear for his contributions but do not exhume 40 year old scripts and hope that different actors can do better than the magnificent O’Connor and Stapleton. The Jeffersons was not quite as bad but the best part was the appearance of Marla Gibbs.

Honored Contributor

DH and I tuned in.  We made it through AITF but we both hated it.  Woody Harrelson as Archie was worse than I even anticipated and I agree, Marissa turned Edith into a joke.  

Jamie Foxx was decent as George.  I thought Wanda would be better than she was as Louise.  We turned it off partway through The Jefferson's.  

This was a big bust.  

Honored Contributor

I didn't think it was too bad.  The only one for me that totally missed the mark was Woody Harrelson.  I thought Marissa Tomei did a rather good job as Edith and Wanda Sykes just kind of faded into the scenery as Louise which surprised me.  Jamie Foxx was closest to the pin and turned a flubbed line into laughter but Jennifer Hudson stole the show for me.  What a voice, perfect choice!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I thought it was awful and couldn't stick with it. I think they were confused as to whether they were casting Archie Bunker/ Edith Bunker or Jean Stapleton and Carroll O'Connor playing those characters. It was a total fail to me. Marissa Tomei was too young to be playing that role and she was terrible. The only thing worse was Woody Harrelson as Archie/Carroll. As for George Jefferson, part of what made him the character he was was that Sherman Helmsley was a little guy puffing himself up and strutting around. Jamie Foxx is a big guy and just puffed his lips and strutted, which didn't work at all.

I am not sure who this was for - the older audience who remembered the original or the younger ones to show what made these classics. The older folks don't need reminding - we all had memories of the real cast and show. The younger generation, I don't think, got what they were trying to do. 

I was trying to think of what a better cast would be and I can't, so this was an attempt to remember the days that should not have been recreated.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mz iMac,

I obviously did not see your post but wish I had.  The first I learned of this reboot was on the news last night.  Suddenly busy, I did not set my DVR to record the show, but when flipping through the channels, I hit on "All in the Family" as it neared the end.  The stars of the episode surprised me.  It certainly seemed to be a pleasant and inoffensive show.

Then I watched "The Jeffersons" reboot and I had a wonderful experience.  There was nothing offensive to my ear or sensitivities, and for my money, what the show did was to reboot some understanding of life that we all need now and again.

When I saw Jackee Harry (please place the accent aigu over her first "e" because  I cannot do that), I was delighted!  I've such wonderful memories of "227" on which she appeared.

But when Marla Gibbs showed up, I was so happy that I had tears in my eyes.  It was like meeting up with a friend whom I hadn't seen in decades. 

Speaking for myself, I enjoyed what a saw of this Jimmy Kimme/Norman Lear production. Each star was an utter surprise for me, and maybe it was more enjoyable for me because of that element of astonishment.

Respected Contributor

I thought it was awful.  They were the exact lines being said, but it was just not funny at all.  If anyone stuck around for that after show, they showed clips of some of those original scenes and they were funny.