Esteemed Contributor

Re: 👍🏾 All In The Family & The Jeffersons **REBOOT** 👍🏾

@threecees wrote:

No actor can ever fill Archie's, Carroll O' Connor, chair or shoes. 

@threecees    You are so right!!   Can't be done IMO.  Loved Carroll O'Conner !    Love the original and still watch it on the sundance channel .   Trying to recreate a iconic show such as All in the family just makes no sense to me.   Woody Harrleson...please😖

Honored Contributor

The only positive thing I can see about this is that Norman Lear is beind it, as he was with the originals. These iconic shows would never be as well received today as they were in the 70's. 

Honored Contributor

FWIW.....

According to the article, the "reboot" is for a ONE night showing.  The shows will be combined & last for 90 minutes tops.

Neither will be a "rebooted series" to be shown weekly.

I would love for the "surviving" characters of both shows to make cameo appearances for this one night special.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Most shows that have been recreated or similar in concept have not made it, doubt this will be any different.
Trusted Contributor

Interestied enough to give it a try.

Brings back some good childhood memories sitting at the kitchen table watching our tiny tv with 7 channels.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i still watch all in the family, archie bunkers place, maude, and the jeffersons on the nostalgia channels. it is amazing how "relevant" they still are today.

i also own the entire all in the family series and maude series on dvd.

interesting concept and i will definitely be watching.

@sunshine45   I had recorded just about everything on VHS decades ago, but since have bought All in the Family, Roseanne, and Mama's Family boxed sets.  I have all of the Jeffersons on VHS still in great viewing condition,along with many other tv comedy series, but bought a few on DVD.  

Honored Contributor

Well with everything so politically correct I have to wonder how funny any of them will be.

I listen (and watch TV) where comedians constantly complain that it's difficult (some say impossible) to be funny (in the kind of comedy some of them do) today because people are so uptight at making fun of each other.

The way I see all of these 'reboots' (whatever it's called) is that there is no imagination with writers anymore so they try (key word "try") to go back when things really were funny and we believed in the goodness of people.

If you believe in the goodness of people you are able to understand they (the comedians) are just trying to make us laugh at ourselves and aren't being mean.

There are so few things a person can say anymore where it doesn't 'hurt' someone's feelings.

I remember the phrase, "Get over yourself".  Sure would work these days.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Well with everything so politically correct I have to wonder how funny any of them will be.

I listen (and watch TV) where comedians constantly complain that it's difficult (some say impossible) to be funny (in the kind of comedy some of them do) today because people are so uptight at making fun of each other.

The way I see all of these 'reboots' (whatever it's called) is that there is no imagination with writers anymore so they try (key word "try") to go back when things really were funny and we believed in the goodness of people.

If you believe in the goodness of people you are able to understand they (the comedians) are just trying to make us laugh at ourselves and aren't being mean.

There are so few things a person can say anymore where it doesn't 'hurt' someone's feelings.

I remember the phrase, "Get over yourself".  Sure would work these days.

@Annabellethecat66 

Bingo!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  I think it is hard for comedians to write funny material in today's climate because truth is stranger than fiction.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

The only positive thing I can see about this is that Norman Lear is beind it, as he was with the originals. These iconic shows would never be as well received today as they were in the 70's. 

I didn't watch them in the 1970's and didn't care for them--especially All In The Family.  I cannot imagine I would like them today.  I always found them mean spirited and unnecessary as entertainment.