Honored Contributor

👍🏾 All In The Family & The Jeffersons **REBOOT** 👍🏾

Jimmy Kimmel, Norman Lear to re-create 'All in the Family,' 'Jeffersons' episodes in live special

Jimmy Kimmel is putting a contemporary spin on a couple of TV classics.

On his ABC late-night show Thursday, Kimmel announced a 90-minute, ABC special remembering two legendary Norman Lear comedies, "All in the Family" (1971-1979) and "The Jeffersons" (1975-1985), with a re-creation of an episode of each featuring present-day stars.

Kimmel and Lear will host "Live in Front of a Studio Audience: Norman Lear's 'All in the Family' and 'The Jeffersons'" (May 22, 8 EDT/PDT). A star-studded cast, including Ellie Kemper, Jamie Foxx, Justina Machado, Marisa Tomei, Wanda Sykes, Will Ferrell and Woody Harrelson, will play characters in the episodes of the Lear-produced sitcoms, which became big hits when they launched in the 1970s.

Harrelson will play "Family" patriarch Archie Bunker with Tomei as his wife, Edith, and Kemper as daughter Gloria. In "The Jeffersons" episode, Foxx and Sykes will portray George and Louise Jefferson, with Ferrell as neighbor Tom Willis and Machado as Florence Johnston, who worked as the Jeffersons' maid in the original series.

The "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" host marveled at the material and the cast, which features Oscar winners Foxx and Tomei.

“The fact that a group of Oscar winners eagerly agreed to play these iconic characters is a testament to the greatness of these shows and their creator, Norman Lear. To be a part of this is a dream come true for me and for everyone involved,” Kimmel said in a news release about the special.

There's big talent behind the camera, too, as renowned sitcom director and 10-time Emmy winner James Burrows will direct the special and Ferrell, Adam McKay, Justin Theroux and Brent Miller join Kimmel and Lear as executive producers.

In a statement, Lear said the special will disprove those who say the groundbreaking hits couldn't be made today.

“We disagree with them and are here to prove, with two great casts depicting ‘All in the Family’ and ‘The Jeffersons,’ the timelessness of human nature," Lear said.

"I cannot wait to see what these glorious performers make in our time of these indelible characters, and I couldn’t be more grateful for Jimmy Kimmel, Sony and ABC for their collective willingness to conceive and pursue this never-been-done-before event.”

The special comes at an interesting time, as Netflix last month decided against going forward with a fourth season of "One Day at a Time," a critically acclaimed re-imagining of another Lear sitcom hit that stars Machado. Sony Pictures Television, which is one of the producers of Kimmel's special, has been trying to find a new TV home for "One Day."

usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2019/04/19/jimmy-kimmel-presents-norman-lear-sitcom-special-star-filled-cast/3515805002/

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 👍🏾 All In The Family & The Jeffersons **REBOOT** 👍🏾

I don't see this at all.  

I don't think it will be funny; it will be mean and common, like many comedies today.

What got a laugh "back then" is grounds for accusations and demanded apologies now.

Maybe they can find enough honest comedy to fill 90 minutes.  I doubt it.

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

In today's world, the humor of those shows probably will be seen as bigoted and hateful. They'll need to use a different basis for the humor, and that will signficantly alter the nature of the shows, hence they won't be reboots of the originals. It's interesting that Kimmel wants to do this, but it will be tough to pull it off successfully.

Regular Contributor

All in the Family   Those were the days when we could say things in jest and everyone would laugh not run to court !

@esmerelda wrote:

I don't see this at all.  

I don't think it will be funny; it will be mean and common, like many comedies today.

What got a laugh "back then" is grounds for accusations and demanded apologies now.

Regular Contributor

Lighten up folks !  Courts are busy enough with real injustice !    Felinemom

Regular Contributor

Lighten up folks !  Courts are busy enough with real injustice !    Felinemom

@felinemom wrote:

All in the Family   Those were the days when we could say things in jest and everyone would laugh not run to court !

@esmerelda wrote:

I don't see this at all.  

@felinemom wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

I don't see this at all.  

Honored Contributor

i still watch all in the family, archie bunkers place, maude, and the jeffersons on the nostalgia channels. it is amazing how "relevant" they still are today.

i also own the entire all in the family series and maude series on dvd.

interesting concept and i will definitely be watching.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

No thanks!!!!

Why try to recreate something as original as All in the Family????  It was too iconic at the time.  Trying to duplicate it will seem like a spoof, IMO.

Esteemed Contributor

No actor can ever fill Archie's, Carroll O' Connor, chair or shoes. 

Honored Contributor

@grandma r wrote:

No thanks!!!!

Why try to recreate something as original as All in the Family????  It was too iconic at the time.  Trying to duplicate it will seem like a spoof, IMO.

I tend to agree.