Honored Contributor

All Day Robert Osborne On TCM Today!

Is anybody watching today's tribute to Robert Osborne by showing non-stop interviews and other things he did?  I'm loving the interview right now with Liza Minelli.  They showed the mad, magnificent scene in her father, director Vincent Minelli's film, "Madame Bovary" where Jennifer Jones is feeling faint from dancing so much at the ball, and the order is given, "Break the windows"!!

At 6:45, they will run Robert's interview with the elusive Kim Novak.  I loved her so in "Vertigo"--  that dreamlike character that so capitvated Jimmy Stewart.  The real Kim Novak seems like a sensitive, artistic soul, too ethereal for the realities of Hollywood...

Anyway, it's vintage Robert Osborne all day, which is quite a treat for us movie fans.

Honored Contributor

Re: All Day Robert Osborne On TCM Today!

@Oznell wrote:

Is anybody watching today's tribute to Robert Osborne by showing non-stop interviews and other things he did?  I'm loving the interview right now with Liza Minelli.  They showed the mad, magnificent scene in her father, director Vincent Minelli's film, "Madame Bovary" where Jennifer Jones is feeling faint from dancing so much at the ball, and the order is given, "Break the windows"!!

At 6:45, they will run Robert's interview with the elusive Kim Novak.  I loved her so in "Vertigo"--  that dreamlike character that so capitvated Jimmy Stewart.  The real Kim Novak seems like a sensitive, artistic soul, too ethereal for the realities of Hollywood...

Anyway, it's vintage Robert Osborne all day, which is quite a treat for us movie fans.

@Oznell  I don't know whether you are aware of any of the following about Kim N., which may explain in part why she is elusive and rarely gives interviews.   My mother was in the medical profession and even back in the late 1960s I remember her talking about Kim Novak having AIS (see link below).  In fact, Novak is mentioned near the end of the article, under the section of famous women mentioned as possibly having AIS.  Since my mother was in the medical profession and she was always my "source" for this info, I believed it.

http://www.annierichards.com/ais.htm

Honored Contributor

Wow, I had never heard of that syndrome, Pearley.  It's interesting.

Honored Contributor

I saw thar interview with Novak a few years ago, she was lovely. She was only around in Hollywood for 10 years. She spoke of having breast cancer, her love for James Stewart and her not so love for Sinatra.

Respected Contributor

Thanks, @Oznell , for all of your great movie posts !

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Wow, I had never heard of that syndrome, Pearley.  It's interesting.

@Oznell  When you watch the interview later, notice how deep Novak's voice is.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I saw Alec Baldwin interviewing RO. They discussed various interviews, two I found fascinating.  One was with Betty Hutton and RO talked about how nervous she was.  When she was being interviewed, she looked like a deer in headlights, but when they'd break, she was affable.  The other was with Mickey Rooney.  He was terribly angry at someone and when he discussed it he showed so much anger, RO was afraid he was going to punch him.

Honored Contributor

These anecdotes you all are giving are great.  Aren't you loving Robert Osborne's stories?   I like what he said about Natalie Wood--  how he was a novice interviewer when he met her, didn't know what he was doing, etc.  She sat on the floor with him and organized his notes with him so it was a successful article after all.  That fits with my image of her--  she appeared fragile and probably neurotic in some ways, but was surprisingly unconventional and warm, and kind enough to help out a neophyte...

Honored Contributor

What he did not say today and I have heard fhim say before was that in reality it was Lucy who talked him out of acting and into his writing carreer, she felt that was his greatest gift he had to offer.

Trusted Contributor

It's been riveting. Good thing I plan to stay home today and do laundry....I hate to turn away from the TV but the laundry room is near the sunroom, so I'm watching TV in the sunroom.

What a rich and wonderful life that man had!