Respected Contributor

TCM is airing Alfred Hitchcock movies all day today. In fact, they've already started. Enjoy.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Alfred Hitchcock

[ Edited ]

A question being discussed on the TCM Message Boards:

If someone, an adult, has never seen a Hitchcock movie, which film would you have them view as an introduction?

Fascinating question,  lots of pros and cons with different suggestions. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

.I saw Psycho in the theatre when it first came out. And have alway been a huge fan.   I was 6 or 7.  In those days I went to the movies every Saturday afternoon no matter the movie showing. I think a ticket was 50 cents.  

My recommendation and favorite...."Nortorius"  1946, Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman and Claude Rains

Esteemed Contributor
Looks like it’s actually tomorrow too. Just looked at the list and there are a few movies I’ve never heard of - mostly his newer movies (60’s/70’s), there’s also one that says is one of his earliest. I even had to look at the cast list for director to see if it still was Hitchcock! LOL
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Johnnyeager Of the ones being shown today, North by Northwest OR Shadow of a Doubt.  Both top tier AH films.

Of those NOT being shown on TCM, as someone else mentioned, Notorious.  Great Hitchcock.

His later films, i.e., those from the 1970s, not his best.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

North by Northwest  came to mind right away.  It's really hard to choose one but Rear Window is another one I'd recommend.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

I wish METV would show his 1/2 hour shows at a different time than 1 and 1:30 AM.  Once in a while when I can't sleep, I can see them.  Always so interesting.  He was a brilliant writer.

Honored Contributor

What really shocks me is that Hitch never won an Oscar, I just cant believe it. 

Honored Contributor

Rope is one of my favs. It was shot like a stage play. So well done.

Notorious another big fav. I am a fan of Claude Rains and the actress that plays his mother.

Saboteour w/Bob Cummings.

If someone had never seen a Hitchcock film, I guess Rear WIndow

There is a later film about called Frenzy.

I go back to Rear WIndow. If you had not seen it,the suspense is great and Raymond Burr is fab.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

A question being discussed on the TCM Message Boards:

If someone, an adult, has never seen a Hitchcock movie, which film would you have them view as an introduction?

Fascinating question,  lots of pros and cons with different suggestions. 

@Johnnyeager 

I would love to have this conversation but it seems like I'm the only person I know who watches Hitchcock films.

It's a tough question.  My heart says Vertigo and my head says Rear Window.

Have to say Rear Window.  Has all the elements.  A good introduction to Hitch.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~