Honored Contributor

From the recommendations here, considering films I had not yet seen, I recorded 'Shadow of a Doubt' last night and I just finished watching 'Rope' as it aired on the channel.   

I like the little things that turn into the big things.   As to 'Rope' - 

Spoiler
 I saw this in spades.  When the lady gave Stewart's character the hat, but it wasn't his hat and, assumably, it was the hat of the victim, I knew where that was going. 

Of course, I didn't know how it would get there and that's the brilliance.
Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

A question being discussed on the TCM Message Boards:

If someone, an adult, has never seen a Hitchcock movie, which film would you have them view as an introduction?

Fascinating question,  lots of pros and cons with different suggestions. 

I'd say Rear Window would be a good choice. It's not scary, maybe one part, and there's humour, there's Jimmy Stewart, and it's a good movie. I never get tired of watching it. Then, if scary is their game,  there's LOTS to choose from!

Honored Contributor

@TexasMom1 wrote:

Don't forget "The 39 Steps" (1935), a British thriller directed by Alfred Hitchcock....stars Robert Donat and Madeleine Carroll. Set in Scotland, it is a really GOOD movie! Tape it for viewing if TCM brings it back. Wonderful film noir, set in Scotland...lots of suspense....

They remade it, but look for the original. 

Honored Contributor

Rear Window is my choice and it has it all, suspense, thrills, mystery, the old NY I love and still love, terrific cast, beautiful Grace Kelly and her fashions, a great movie to watch any time and never tire of watching after.  To add, any Hitchcock movie is a worthy watch.

Trusted Contributor

"To Catch a Thief" is my favorite. I would recommend that as a start.  "Rear Window" is a close second. Hitch's movies are good, but some of them are really disturbing, like "Vertigo", "Psycho", and "Shadow of a Doubt". 

Honored Contributor

I'd forgotten all about To Catch a Thief. Grace Kelly was so lovely.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@Johnnyeager Of the ones being shown today, North by Northwest OR Shadow of a Doubt.  Both top tier AH films.

Of those NOT being shown on TCM, as someone else mentioned, Notorious.  Great Hitchcock.

His later films, i.e., those from the 1970s, not his best.

I love Shadow of a Doubt.  Whenever its on I watchSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Watched 'Strangers on a Train' yesterday and enjoyed it. Might have been a plot hole or two, but it was suspenseful. Saw two actresses from one of my favorite childhood TV shows,Bewitched, in it - Aunt Clara and Louise Tate. 

Honored Contributor

We watched Vertigo (for the first time) last evening. Neither one of us cared for it. Thought the dialogue was somewhat ponderous.