Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3   It's interesting that the American Cancer Society mentions that you should maintain a healthy weight.  I am currently watching the 10 pm news and they were just talking about Alex Trebek again and said that being overweight plays a large role in pancreatic cancer, as does a diet high in sugar.

My two friends who died from this disease were both thin and, I'm guessing, sugar wasn't something they over indulged in.  Alex Trebek is also thin.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

It seems like when someone gets this cancer they die.  My late husband's family have all died from various forms of cancer.

He didn't have cancer, he just dropped dead.  The autopsy never showed what he died from.

I recently saw the interview Harvey from TMZ did with him.  It was very interesting.  I didn't know much about him.  I do remember when he married there was a lot of fuss over the fact that he was much older than his wife.

But it all turned out so well.  They have a lovely family and seem very happy.  

Maybe he'll be one of the lucky one's who beat it.  I hope so.

Trusted Contributor

It's sad, I admire him. Heart I've never, in all these years, heard an unkind word about the man.  After seeing his taped message, that's all over the media, I admire him even more.  If you pray, please pray for him.  He needs it and he deserves it.Heart

Esteemed Contributor

I’m a great fan of Jeopardy, the only quiz show that really expects contestants to know something. I’ve watched the program for decades, even before Alex Trebek started hosting 35 years ago. Art Fleming was the first host. I did a google search on Fleming and got the chills when I read he had died of pancreatic cancer. It’s all so sad.

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

@suzyQ3   It's interesting that the American Cancer Society mentions that you should maintain a healthy weight.  I am currently watching the 10 pm news and they were just talking about Alex Trebek again and said that being overweight plays a large role in pancreatic cancer, as does a diet high in sugar.

My two friends who died from this disease were both thin and, I'm guessing, sugar wasn't something they over indulged in.  Alex Trebek is also thin.  

@Citrine1, they are making suggestions based on research, but of course it doesn't apply to every individual -- same with smoking. Both my parents dies of smoke-related disease, but some smokers manage not to be so adversely affected.

We can look only at the data for the population as a whole and make wise decisions in order to try to beat the odds.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I realize that @suzyQ3 .  They can only speak in general terms.  My one friend was a heavy smoker so that could have played a role.  I can't imagine what brought it on with my other friend.  Sometimes there's just no rhyme nor reason.