Trusted Contributor

Jeopardy! is my all-time favorite game show; I watched it as a child with Art Fleming.  Alex is urbane, witty, kind, and occassionally, a bit devilish. His love of language, the arts, travel, history, etc. are evident daily. I can't envision anyone taking his place, but they will need to find someone equally debonair, whatever gender (trying not to leave anyone out). I hope he will live his life in its twilight in the way he lived all these decades.

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

My sister died of pancreatic cancer only two weeks after diagnosis.

My friend's husband also had PC.  He had the whipple surgery and lived 9 months.

My uncle had the whipple and only lived 4 months.  I'm not so sure that I'd go through that awful surgery for such a short period of time.  I guess you never know.

None of these people ever smoked.  My sister's dr. said that our sugary diet contributes to the disease.

From the American Cancer Society:

Can Pancreatic Cancer Be Prevented?

There is no sure way to prevent pancreatic cancer. Some risk factors such as age, gender, race, and family history can’t be controlled. But there are things you can do that might lower your risk.

Don’t smoke

Smoking is the most important avoidable risk factor for pancreatic cancer. Quitting smoking helps lower risk. If you smoke and want help quitting, please talk to your health care provider or call us at 1-800-227-2345.

Stay at a healthy weight

Getting to and staying at a healthy weight might also help lower your risk. While the effects of getting physical activity and eating well on pancreatic cancer risk are not as clear, both of these can help you stay at a healthy weight.

The American Cancer Society recommends choosing foods and beverages in amounts that help you get to and stay at a healthy weight. Eat a healthy diet, with an emphasis on plant foods. This includes at least 2½ cups of vegetables and fruits every day. Choose whole-grain breads, pastas, and cereals instead of refined grains, and eat fish, poultry, or beans instead of processed meat and red meat. For more, see the American Cancer Society Guidelines on Nutrition and Physical Activity for Cancer Prevention.

Limit alcohol use

Heavy alcohol use has been tied to pancreatic cancer in some studies but not in others. This link is still not certain, but heavy alcohol use can lead to conditions such as chronic pancreatitis and cirrhosis, which are known to increase pancreatic cancer risk.

Limit exposure to certain chemicals in the workplace

Avoiding workplace exposure to certain chemicals may reduce your risk for pancreatic cancer.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

My sister died of pancreatic cancer only two weeks after diagnosis.

My friend's husband also had PC.  He had the whipple surgery and lived 9 months.

My uncle had the whipple and only lived 4 months.  I'm not so sure that I'd go through that awful surgery for such a short period of time.  I guess you never know.

None of these people ever smoked.  My sister's dr. said that our sugary diet contributes to the disease.

Drinking and smoking  highly contribute....but, it can blindly hit someone who never drank or smoked. 

Honored Contributor

Alex is keeping his spirits up-he said he has to fight this because according to his contract he still has 3 years left to host Jeopardy!

Keeping up a positive attitude.Heart

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

I agree @KrimpetteSmiley Sad

From Ken Jennings ~

"I’ve said this before but Alex Trebek is in a way the last Cronkite: authoritative, reassuring TV voice you hear every night, almost to the point of ritual."

This is heartbreaking, I am so sad. He asked us to keep the faith so I will. As you said, he's a real class act. Sending love to Alex, his family, and his friends. Heart

@SusieQ_2     we were two of the people who defended Alex recently in another thread. Like you, I am sad but I'm glad I didn't have to hear bad news before I could say something positive about him. Wishing Alex the time he needs to complete his three-year contract and to sign another one.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Respected Contributor

How terrible-  No one I have heard of lives very long with this diagnosis and stage... I believe some names include: Patrick Swatze, Bill Bixby, Michael Landon, Randy Pausch. Unreal, Alex looked like the picture of health. Wishes for the best possible outcome.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My SS teacher of many years was diagnosed with stage IV pancreatic cancer and given 3 months to live. She went to several teaching universities and they all recommended palliative chemotherapy.  It was at the end of the "dreaded 3 months" that she saw the last doctor who did not understand why she was not yet dead.  She told him she was going to fight on her own.  That was 16 months ago that she got the diagnosis.  She is still driving and managing her own affairs.  Don't tell me there is not a God.

Respected Contributor

hoping for the best for him and his family.  

Honored Contributor

Oh how I love this man!

He is dignified, handsome and, by all appearances, kind and measured.

May he miraculously beat this wretched diagnosis.  His children are in their late 20s and would surely love to have their dad around a lot longer, as would their mother.  

Super Contributor

@tansy

i apologize I misread it.