Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

And we can add Patrick Swayze to the list. 

@ShelbelleI just thought of him when the news broke about Trebek.

I think Michael Landon also died from this type of cancer.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Re: Alex Trebek has cancer

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

And we can add Patrick Swayze to the list. 

@ShelbelleI just thought of him when the news broke about Trebek.

I think Michael Landon also died from this type of cancer.

Michael Landon did - that is posted already above also.

Honored Contributor

Alex is such a class acr.  Irreplaceable, IMHO.  My prayers go out to him.  The show will never be the same without him, IMHO.

Trusted Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Stage 4 pancreatic cancer means the cancer has spread to other organs, typically the liver or the lungs. You can't cure the cancer at this point, but you still have treatment options.

Survival rates. According to the American Cancer Society, the 5-year survival rate for people with stage 4 pancreatic cancer is approximately 1 percent.

healthline.com/health/pancreatic-cancer/stage-4

---------------------------------------------

One of the main things, that makes Pancreatic Cancer such a killer, it is often symptom free, until,  it  has advanced, well beyond, the point of successful treatment. 

Prayers and all good wishes, for he and his family!

With that diagnosis, I'm not sure that I would opt for aggressive treatment. Comfort care might be my choice.  That, I suspect, is a decision, you can only really make, if you're facing it!

Respected Contributor

My sister died of pancreatic cancer only two weeks after diagnosis.

My friend's husband also had PC.  He had the whipple surgery and lived 9 months.

My uncle had the whipple and only lived 4 months.  I'm not so sure that I'd go through that awful surgery for such a short period of time.  I guess you never know.

None of these people ever smoked.  My sister's dr. said that our sugary diet contributes to the disease.

Esteemed Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

Alex is such a class act.  Irreplaceable, IMHO.  My prayers go out to him.  The show will never be the same without him, IMHO.

I agree @KrimpetteSmiley Sad

From Ken Jennings ~

"I’ve said this before but Alex Trebek is in a way the last Cronkite: authoritative, reassuring TV voice you hear every night, almost to the point of ritual."

This is heartbreaking, I am so sad. He asked us to keep the faith so I will. As you said, he's a real class act. Sending love to Alex, his family, and his friends. Heart

Honored Contributor

Too much sadness in the world.......I am 😞 😔😢 just sad lately. 

Honored Contributor

Very sad news😢

He was guest on Kelly & Ryan and kiddingly said to Ryan "If I ever need to retire I want you to be my replacement host".  I wonder if he knew when he made this statement.  I think it was a few months ago.

Valued Contributor

WHAT  SAD NEWS  I WATCH HIM EVERY NIGHT ALSO MANY RERUNS   HE IS LIKE FAMILY    MANY PRAYERS WILL BE SAID      GOD BLESS HIM

Honored Contributor

I remember years ago Michael Landon was on the Johnny Carson show right after he came out that he had stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer.  He also said he would fight it with everything he had....and he did pushups to show how strong and fit he was.  I still miss Michael Landon all these years later and his fabulous television productions. 

I wish Alex every good thought.  I hope with the advances in medicine that he CAN win this battle and feel well enough to work....it is a very painful disease.  It might be hard on him, but, it probably gives him purpose rather than givining up and being depressed.