Esteemed Contributor

Re: Alex Trebek Talks About Time When He Won't Be Able To Do Jeopardy Any More

@Pearlee wrote:

@grandma2pkmh   Another poster (can't remember who now) were wondering just recently why he is still working at all, with so little time left?  Why not just relax and do everything he's wanted to do and spend time with his family?

Probably because Jeopardy IS what he wants to do. 

And his schedule is pretty light.  It's not as though he's in a 9-5 job with a long commute five days a week. 

I think he works something like 2 days in a two-week period.  As with many television shows, they tape several episodes one right after the other.  So even doing Jeopardy, he has lots of time to be with family and do whatever he enjoys to relax.  

But even if not, I would never question anyone's choices.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee My heart is so sad for all that he is going through. He is always a part of our nightly schedule. It surely will never be the same. We Love Him So Much. What a Trooper he is  !!Heart

Valued Contributor

My husband was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in May of 2009 and he had a decent quality of life for five months but the last two months were difficult...he died New Years Eve 2009.  Alex Trebek states reality...at some point he will not be the voice and face of Jeopardy....sad.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it's part of what keeps him going.  On the interview on GMA yesterday, he said there are times when in his dressing room he's feeling poorly, but the minute they announce his name, he perks up and gets on with the show.  Prayers continue for him.  He's certainly going to be a tough act to follow, in many ways.

Honored Contributor

I understand how he feels about working.

To quit your job may feel like he has given in to the cancer.

I myself, would rather die on the job than in a hospital bed.

Honored Contributor

I read that and it made me very sad.  Not for the show but for Alex, the person.  Everyone was so hopeful that he was one of the ones who beat his type of cancer and now it appears that he's he's still fighting it but he accepts that he might not win.  Trebek is that show, when he can't do it any longer, the show ends.  Which is fine.  No one can replace him.  

Valued Contributor

@jellyBEAN He apologized last night for a few mistakes.  I'm weaning myself from this show as I don't want to see such an elegant, classy man start to fail in front of my eyes.  I think he is saying that he knows he's going to lose the battle, he's prepared, but he will be leaving the show soon.  Alex is irreplaceable in my eyes.

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@grandma2pkmh   Another poster (can't remember who now) were wondering just recently why he is still working at all, with so little time left?  Why not just relax and do everything he's wanted to do and spend time with his family?

And his schedule is pretty light.  It's not as though he's in a 9-5 job with a long commute five days a week. 

I think he works something like 2 days in a two-week period.  As with many television shows, they tape several episodes one right after the other.  So even doing Jeopardy, he has lots of time to be with family and do whatever he enjoys to relax.  

@NYC Susan   I truly find this hard to believe, esp. "never."

Honored Contributor

I feel so bad for him too.  So many are stricken with this, once again, "I hate cancer"!

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@NYC Susan   I truly find this hard to believe, esp. "never."

Yes, never.  People with terminal illnesses should be allowed to make whatever choices they want re how they spend their time.  I would never presume that I know what's best for someone in that situation.