Honored Contributor

Alex Trebek Talks About Time When He Won't Be Able To Do Jeopardy Any More

I was just reading People online and Alex Trebek says the day may come when he is not able to do the show; he already sees his  diminishing.   From the article:

"...the host suggested his time on the program may be nearing its end.

“I will keep doing it as long as my skills do not diminish, and they have started to diminish,” Trebek said, explaining that sores in his mouth from the treatment have made it difficult for him to enunciate.

“I’m sure there are observant members of the television audience that notice also, but they’re forgiving,” he said. “But there will come a point when [fans and producers] will no longer be able to say, ‘It’s okay.’ ”  

Source: People online

Trusted Contributor

Re: Alex Trebek Talks About Time When He Won't Be Able To Do Jeopardy Any More

@Pearlee  I read that too and it makes me so sad. I can't imagine Jeopardy without him although I know it will happen.

Honored Contributor

@grandma2pkmh   Another poster (can't remember who now) were wondering just recently why he is still working at all, with so little time left?  Why not just relax and do everything he's wanted to do and spend time with his family?

Trusted Contributor

@Pearlee  Maybe it's what keeps him going.  I have known several people with illnesses that just did not want to quit work. It is what got them up in the morning. You need to feel alive and needed.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@grandma2pkmh   Another poster (can't remember who now) were wondering just recently why he is still working at all, with so little time left?  Why not just relax and do everything he's wanted to do and spend time with his family?

Because he is doing what he loves while still spending time with his family. 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

This is so sad. He is such a treasure and joy to watch. Can not imagine the show without him😢

Respected Contributor

Even though I remember Art Fleming, Jeopardy and Alex Trebek have come to be synonymous (to me).

It won't be the same without him.

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

He looks so good on the outside, we can't feel what he's dealing with on the inside.  I have noticed the past week or two he's apologized for not getting thru most of the answers on the board for the contestants.

I remember Art Fleming too and had stopped watching Jeopardy for a number of years, but the past couple years took up watching it again, and realized how wonderful Alex does his job.  He enunciates so clearly and he's quick and even-keeled.

I don't know who will be able to replace him.  He will be very much missed when the time comes.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

@Pearlee  I read that too and it makes me so sad. I can't imagine Jeopardy without him although I know it will happen.

No disrespect but I think he'll be channeling himself at that podium from The Great Beyond.

Respected Contributor

It's both ironic and tragic; Art Fleming  also had pancreatic cancer. (I refuse to capitalize this cruel disease)