Esteemed Contributor

Re: Alec Baldwin to be charged with Involuntary Manslaughter in Rust Shooting!

CC3467A7-1183-45DA-B298-E0A1893FF74F.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Every time I see something else on the news about this story, it changes; not sure how it plays out but Baldwin needs to be behind bars. I doubt it will ever happen. That would be the ultimate reality check. Karma, baby, karma!

Respected Contributor

Baldwin was handling a fully functioning firearm. Not an ordinary prop but an actual weapon. A revolver capable of firing actual ammunition. He's handled firearms throughout his career. 

The district prosecutor followed the letter of the state statute. Unfortunate for Baldwin. Yet, more unfortunate for the victim's that day.

If the prosecutor had not charged Baldwin she would not have been fulfilling her obligation to her oath of office. She would have been derelict. There would have been outrage that he was being afforded special treatment because of his celebrity. 

Baldwin, unlike so many others, has the ability to financially afford the most expensive legal team that money can buy. If one feels there are extenuating circumstances that would render him not guilty then I'm certain they will present them. 

Criminal cases are adjudicated in courts. Not on movie sets, not on street corners, not on message boards. There may be far more to this case that is only known to those directly involved. 

I'm not about to judge the action's of a prosecutor who does possess the facts of the case. I'll wait to see the judicial system run its course.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember a series of books from years ago with the umbrella label K.I.S.S.  Alec Baldwin was handed a real gun.  Alec Baldwin pointed that gun at real human beings.  Alec Baldwin pulled the trigger on that real gun.  Bullets erupted from the gun, resulting in bodily harm and one dead co-worker.  Keep It Simple, Stupid.=K.I.S.S. 

Guilty?  H***, yes.

Honored Contributor

Fortunately, his mother doesn't have to go through this.  Carol died last May in Syracuse, NY, at age 92.  Her organization, the Carol M. Baldwin Breast Cancer Research fund, did a lot to raise both awareness of the disease and funds for research.

Respected Contributor

I just can't feel any sympathy for Baldwin...only for the poor woman's family who died.

Respected Contributor

Thanks; I went back and checked and it said her father was the exec producer. I guess there is much misinformation out there. I can't believe anyone could still be insisting they are innocent; he is going to get a real reality check if he goes to prison.

Esteemed Contributor

The prison sentence is 18 mos - 5 years if imposed plus the fine. Not much, considering someone died. The family settled & part of the settlement is that the deceased’s husband will be either the director or producer, forgot which, of Rust
Esteemed Contributor

As a producer, he’d be responsible for safety standards on the set & IMO he is culpable to some extent. Whoever, did the hiring, should be responsible as well as the young woman was not experienced.

I believe it was reported that he owns a rifle & has some knowledge re guns
Esteemed Contributor

All victims of homicide deserve respect. There is so much speculation about the guilt or innocence of Baldwin. What about the victim, she was someone’s’ child, someone’s wife and the mother of a young boy. The DA is obligated to pursue charges, particularly, in NM. In the State constitution, there is a victim’s rights bill. The victim is dead but the family is not.

All those who handled the gun, armorer, director, & Baldwin as producer & actor are equally guilty & should be sentenced.

Safety Codes are in place for a reason & they rely on EVERYONE doing his/her part. Both Baldwin & Hall, the director, stated they relied on others to do their job.

It doesn’t work that way. Now, a young woman is dead due to their negligence. BTW, George Clooney stated that whenever he handles a gun on set, he checks it with others including the person he points the gun at.

Rust Productions has already been cited for safety violations before this accident & a hefty fine imposed.

In the confiscated ammunition box, both dummy & live rounds were found. Why any live ammunition on a set?

From all accounts, the set was poorly run with total disregard of safety guidelines