Honored Contributor

I just started watching this.  It is interesting.  They do seem to have a lot of issues with boats.  Have they really been in the bush since the kids were born?

Honored Contributor

I'm a big fan of the Alaska shows but I don't watch this one.  I've heard too many things about it being unrealistic and thoroughly staged.  I've heard the family heads for warmer places in the winter.

My favorites are The Last Alaskans and Life Below Zero.  Both are genuine and give a real feel for life in a subarctic climate.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'm a big fan of the Alaska shows but I don't watch this one.  I've heard too many things about it being unrealistic and thoroughly staged.  I've heard the family heads for warmer places in the winter.

My favorites are The Last Alaskans and Life Below Zero.  Both are genuine and give a real feel for life in a subarctic climate.

Hi Kachina, I did notice that I started watching the older ones and the newer ones are kind of ridiculous.  However the mom seems so frail.  The kids are over the top, especially Matt.  I have been watching life below zero and mountain men.  I started watching this stuff late night Saturday.  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Did I miss an episode?  Does Ami (Mother) have cancer?  I didn't see if they are going back to AK or staying in the lower 48 for her treatment if she does have cancer.  So sorry if she does!

The kids seem to be well educated, but seem to lack social skills since they are so isolated, but I wonder if that is part of the show.  I do think part of it is staged.

Honored Contributor

@Patriot3 - last nights episode.

Spoiler
Stage 3B lung cancer, 6 weeks of radiation and I think they said 4 weeks of chemo after that.
Honored Contributor

I have only watched a few minutes of this show one time.  It didn't interest me so I haven't seen it again.

In general though, many of these shows start out pretty realistic, then realistic gets boring.  So they come up with these contrived plots that are obviously not real.

Respected Contributor

I think they're totally fake.

There's been pictures posted of the boys using cell phones and traveling and playing video games.  These pictures are when they are much younger.

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Patriot3 - last nights episode.

Spoiler
Stage 3B lung cancer, 6 weeks of radiation and I think they said 4 weeks of chemo after that.

@CelticCrafter  Thanks........oops, guess I missed it.  What a diagnosis!  Sure hope she comes out of this.

Respected Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

There's been pictures posted of the boys using cell phones and traveling and playing video games.  These pictures are when they are much younger.

And the father has written books and has money. Yet they show him bartering fish so Mama can go to the dentist.

I think this show is a complete farce.

Respected Contributor

@nun ya wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

And the father has written books and has money. Yet they show him bartering fish so Mama can go to the dentist.

I think this show is a complete farce.

That annoys me. 

I know a lot of these reality shows are scripted, but this one is too over the top.