Honored Contributor

The Glass Key, TCM, tonight at 11:00 or 11:30, better check 'cause I'm not sure. These were great movies. There were a few of them.

Respected Contributor

Re: Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake

A real classic film noir. Thanks for posting.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

The Glass Key, TCM, tonight at 11:00 or 11:30, better check 'cause I'm not sure. These were great movies. There were a few of them.

Hello hello, judaline, I was here for about an hour, then left- as I expected, but will not be her until late afternoon Wednesday.

I did know that her name (born with) was Connie and she reminded me a lot of Gloria Grahme, but never the highlights as /w/ GG, though. Never was or knew much of any movies until 8+ years ago.

I do remember Veronica Lake ( somwhat of) when I saw her in three movies when I was either in my teens or on an old movie channel that had many westerns. That would be the hair over the one eye and thought that to be very unique...anything about hair fascinated me and still does.

There is very little that I knew or know of VL, other than she died at an early age and was quite the potential new star for her lovely face.

Many years ago, I know she did struggle with many stressful relationships (??marriage??)  which elevated her health issues with a mental disease, if

I remembered a brief paper / magazine review print out that said:

____________* that and her illness lead to her early death due to alcoholism<?.......    !! She always appeared to me as extremely lonely; to me, was what I had seen that I would call B-movies, but definitely known with Alan Ladd / the Glass Key and a movie, Sullivan's Travels. 

The movie is a very good one known for her  [film  noir with Ladd.

Personally...and I believe I'm rather keen wise for many whom I thought had great potential, she being one of the 'top' competitors with other older Old Hollywood stars. 

Just a detailed observation, however, 'thought' V. Lake was driven a lot with cruelty  >>>>>AND very underrated.

May have been her very sad unfortunate Illness, or the stress combined...just one of the drawbacks being associated with Hollywood- PERIOD!

I always admired and respected Kim Novak for leaving,  ```never looking back while leaving before she, herself, was a throw-a-way.

Never have I have had any {{ giggly swoon }} love interest -for-Hollywood,----------- and how the name, alone had ~has destroyed so many talented people. 

Today's Hollywood, ..... and most of [all] TV has become trash and mindless entertainment.

"......... I never figured out where do people even HAVE the time.

I do enjoy the old black & white movies from the as to the late 50s even though I was old enough in its heyday when released. A lot of sadness behind the lives that most relish in".......

@Judaline 

Tuesday. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell ...

Have to my @ct together, or least try. Hope to read- see everyone late Wednesday. 

Big doinin'sssssss!

Will tell you -about- later.

Woman SurprisedThis has been ONE very lonnnnnnnG day!'

Tuesday.

NIGHt.

TIRED.

Good Grief!

Honored Contributor

Hi @NAES1 . I agree with all you said about Hollywood, etc. I saw an interview with Veronica Lake once. I knew she would look older but she came out with a SHORT haircut, no hair over her eye and you know what? She had no allure, she looked like just your ordinary person walking down the street! Oh, no, all my illusions of glamour gone in a single interview! hahaha And speaking of short, she was very tiny. Ladd was short, too, so I guess it was a perfect match, and both being blonde, wow. Great casting.  I believe she was lonely and died fairly young as I recall, and penniless. Very sad.

I recorded the movie and with any luck will watch over the week-end some time. Busy week here, too. Hang in there.

Honored Contributor

I just remembered something. We used to play jump rope games at some period in my younger years. One of the games had a line............'now Judy's got a shape like Veronica Lake' and blah, blah, blah. hahaha Shape and Lake were supposed to rhyme I guess.

Honored Contributor

I’ve only seen one Veronica Lake film, “I Married a Witch.” I do know a little bit about her, but not much. Of course, there was the iconic peekaboo hairstyle. She was supposed to do I Married a Witch with Joel McCrea but he refused to work with her again so the role went to Frederick March. Her alcoholism was a problem from early adulthood on and she died in her 50s. She didn’t have much of a career after the 40s and quickly developed a bad reputation on-set causing her to lose quit a few possible roles and co-stars.
Esteemed Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
I’ve only seen one Veronica Lake film, “I Married a Witch.” I do know a little bit about her, but not much. Of course, there was the iconic peekaboo hairstyle. She was supposed to do I Married a Witch with Joel McCrea but he refused to work with her again so the role went to Frederick March. Her alcoholism was a problem from early adulthood on and she died in her 50s. She didn’t have much of a career after the 40s and quickly developed a bad reputation on-set causing her to lose quit a few possible roles and co-stars.

Thank you !! .... You are becoming a movie buff to me, knowing bit & pieces of more of the unaware open information that's been concealed and possibly forgotten...the veil of any natural lives more often than latter ... Whewww.

For self,  if you knew even that much. 5 stars for @bikerbabe ..   ""We Need You here with Oznell and all of us that (like me) tinker around loving those older lost movies with interesting whatever we all it?   Read judaline's approach as a solid fact.

A huge much needed ...hello @bikerbabe  Smiley Happy----

I set above any other movies, the old when @Oznell explains to her listening group. 

Many [ film noir] ``black & white`` classics.

I'll track her down if she's caught by that roaring lion of infamous sounds for screen intros that could whisk her away, ---

___ as in the same---; > Alert< /  King Kong and Faye Wray to the top of the mountain.

On these board forums I can expect almost anything :womanwink:`and do not be a stranger...you are quite valuable, as with 1 sweet 'sharp' @Judaline ; she comes in as a second.

With me? At the bottom of the totem pole`    Woman Happy

No one!  Believe a thing I said about myself................ Woman Surprised

NADA,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 

SEE you at the movies, NAES

Honored Contributor

Awe. Thank you @NAES1. I’ve liked old Hollywood since I was a child even though the movies were long before my time. My TCM movie-watching took a hit in recent years when I was in nursing school but I’ve started watching more this summer. More often than not, I DVR or watch TCM On Demand; rarely watch when it originally airs on TV. I’m not the movie expert like Oznell but my mind is definitely filled with meaningless trivia. I was always good in College Bowl competitions and Trivial Pursuit. Don’t get me started on football and other meaningless sports statistics. 😂
Esteemed Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:

Mentioned this morning to my husband- I married a Witch with Lake & March...and... was surprised that he did see it.

Said he thought both were very good, but not something he would watch again.

bikerbabe,  HELLO~

My husband knew very little of Veronica Lake other than an itty bit of this (1) actress with the WHAT  was described> peekaboo { UpDo }. 

@bikerbabe -

Since I have not seen this movie, I never thought to ask my/H.... did she have the hair fall over one side? 

Just a horriffic unfortunate illness- one of the worse, as you may well know. 

When I see @Judaline 's avatar, I think Gene T. had my cap on....but where is her stripe?

Meant to tell you before I fell asleep, I know very LITTLE of sports.... as an almost zero.