Honored Contributor
Al Roker announced he will be having surgery for prostate cancer and will be off the air for a while. He said there is good news/bad news. Good news is they caught it early, bad news is it is aggressive.

Wishing him a speedy recovery and long life.

Source- People online
Honored Contributor

Re: Al Roker Prostate Cancer

Thank you for this.  I caught the tail end of the conversation this morning, heard them mention cancer, and wondered who or what they were talking about.  I wish him well, of course.

Honored Contributor

Both my father and a good friend had prostate cancer - had surgery - and were okay afterwards. 

Father passed from another issue - friend is still doing okay more than 10 years later.

Trusted Contributor

Prayers for Al and his family. My husband had Prostate Cancer and made a full recovery. Praying Al will too.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband's prostate cancer was caught very early and was not the aggressive type fortunately.  His surgery was this past January and pathology showed it was totally contained within the prostate.  All lymph nodes were clean.  My husband tells people his nagging wife saved his life...lol.  My career in the medical field made me very aware of early detection with PSA blood tests.  I insisted on a yearly PSA although his PCP said there are false positives.  Yes, there are, but if you get a positive result, you wait a bit, run it again.  If still positive, then you explore it further.  

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

My husband died from this ,in 2013, he fought it for 14 years, his could not be removed,it was very aggressive, but due to finding a great doctor that specialized in this ,at Beth Israeli n Boston,and trying every thing, including trails, he kept him going, but mike died at age 63.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest  I am so very sorry you lost your husband to this.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What is his hurry To return to work  in a couple of weeks?  He should take a year off....better yet retire,,,,he is rich,,..enjoy all he has worked for. He is 66. Enjoy life with his  lovely wife.  The show can replace him.  He is not irreplaceable 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden. Where did you see he was in a hurry to return to work in a couple of weeks?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:
@SeaMaiden. Where did you see he was in a hurry to return to work in a couple of weeks?

@Pearlee 
I read the interview he did with a news source....

• Al Roker, 66, revealed on Friday that he is battling aggressive prostate cancer
  • The Today show weather presenter will undergo surgery in New York City next week to have his prostate removed
  • Roker said the diagnosis came after a routine check up in late September 
  • The father-of-three said that depending on how well the surgery goes next week he could be back on the air in two weeks 
  • His doctor, Vincent Laudone, said the cancer currently appeared to be confined to Roker's prostate