Honored Contributor

Ahhh...memories at the drive-in

[ Edited ]

I'm watching the classic movie on TCM - 'Alice's Restaurant'. I was 10 yrs old when this movie 1st came out and Dad at the time brought us all out as a family to the drive-in to see it. I lost count of how many times Dad would turn around and try and cover both my eyes and my sister's eyes during the 'dirty' parts...

On the way home Dad asked me how I liked the movie. I told him I didn't know since I only watched about half of it (he covered my eyes the other 1/2 of the time) ooonooo.gif

Anyone else have funny memories from the drive-in?  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Ahhh...memories at the drive-in

And loved those fun intermission ads with the dancing treats, popcorn and hotdogs...LOL

-vintage-tv.jpg

Honored Contributor

Let's see what I remember seeing at the outdoor.  Airport with Dean Martin, and some scary movie called Dunwich Horror.  Later in life, I saw Norma Rae.  That's all folks!

Honored Contributor

I remember watching a movie with Jane Russell called The French Line. It was playing, so we just went. The movie had been condemned by the Catholic church. When the costumes and dance got kind of risque I covered my eyes so I wouldn't have to go to confession, lol. I wasn't even sure that was the condemned part-looked ok to me, but I never did see why it was condemned. Boyfriend kept watching. Of course I have other memories of the Drive-In, and it's really NOYB. hahaha-enjoyed your post!

Respected Contributor

I have never been to a drive in movie.  They we're around when I was a kid but I grew up in Queens NYC and we didn't have a car until I was 16.

Valued Contributor

I remember going to the drive-in on a date when I was in high school and my dad would say to my mother "Are going to let her go to that passion pit?"  We would just laugh.

Honored Contributor

@BLH....the term 'passion pit' brought back memories...our TV room in the house I grew up in was called that.....I don't know if mom and dad knew we called it that!!

Honored Contributor

Oh what didn't I see at The Drive In? We used to go almost every weekend! My husband an I when we were dating would go, and then once we were married and had children, we would bring them along......It was a fun thing to do on the weekends. I remember seeing scary movies mostly like The Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby,etc......I loved the Drive In. They just tore down the last one around here 2 years ago.......Remember eating all of that popcorn, and kids wanting hot dogs, and snow cones-what fond, fun memories!!!!!!!!!! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Drive-Ins were the best! A fun & affordable way to go out at night.

Am I crazy in thinking there were usually 2 movies shown, or maybe even a 3rd? I kinda remember us sometimes leaving before the next movie played...

SO many wonderful movies, & life lessons too.

Our dad wasn't the warm, fuzzy type, but I recall my sisters and I begging to go to the drive-in to see 'The Trouble with Angels'. He said he'd take us if we paid. LOL! We each coughed up an allowance dollar for our admissions.

I also remember sleeping at a GF's house for the weekend, & she had a single mom.

That was one of those pivotal life lesson moments when something suddenly dawns on you; it hit me that they were poor. And I really mean poor.

Anyway, later that night, it was announced that we were going to the drive-in, so we all piled into the car. Yippee!

About a block before we got there, the mom pulled over, & the kids all got out of the car. (??)

I didn't know what was going on, so the mom said "Just get into the trunk."

I was stunned, & had never heard of such a thing!

In my little girl head, that was cheating, and cheating was a sin, right?

But they were poor! What to do?

I just sat there, wrestling with my conscience.

I finally said something like "I can't.", so the mom had to pay for the 2 of us, and I felt the crushing guilt over it for a very long time.

Ah, drive-ins...  

* Edited for spelling

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

August 11, 1964

Two-tone grey VW Bus

A Hard Day's Night

The Beatles

Dad, Mom, two sisters and me

I was 11 years old, what a memory