Honored Contributor

Re: Actress Anne Heche has 'long recovery ahead' after car crash

I saw a video of Anne Heche flying through a residential neighborhood in her car. Not sure if it was after crash #1 or before crash #1. But I can understand why in crash #2 she went completely through the house. 

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@lgfan wrote:

@KingstonsMom 

"New news updates are saying that the car plowed through the house (not just hit it), landing 2 feet from the resident and her 2 dogs relaxing on the couch.

She was able to grab her dogs and escape out the back door while the car and house were engulfed in flames."

Ms. Heche caused this damage yet the people who don't have any sympathy for Ms. Heche are horrible people.

@lgfan 

I' m one of those "horrible people who has NO sympathy for the driver (raising my hand!)

She has been to psych rehab more than once (once she was convinced she was an alien, found wandering around in the desert) and drug/alcohol rehab several times as well.

How many innocents have to suffer from her actions? Does someone have to beat her in the head with a rock for her to 'get' it???

Mad Looney Tunes GIF by MOODMAN

@KingstonsMom Mental illness and addiction are diseases.  The mental illness and the addiction leaves the person who suffers from both no free will when it comes to these things.  She will not "get it" until she is on the road to recovery and can remain that way.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@lgfan wrote:

@KingstonsMom 

"New news updates are saying that the car plowed through the house (not just hit it), landing 2 feet from the resident and her 2 dogs relaxing on the couch.

She was able to grab her dogs and escape out the back door while the car and house were engulfed in flames."

Ms. Heche caused this damage yet the people who don't have any sympathy for Ms. Heche are horrible people.

@lgfan 

I' m one of those "horrible people who has NO sympathy for the driver (raising my hand!)

She has been to psych rehab more than once (once she was convinced she was an alien, found wandering around in the desert) and drug/alcohol rehab several times as well.

How many innocents have to suffer from her actions? Does someone have to beat her in the head with a rock for her to 'get' it???

Mad Looney Tunes GIF by MOODMAN

@KingstonsMom Mental illness and addiction are diseases.  The mental illness and the addiction leaves the person who suffers from both no free will when it comes to these things.  She will not "get it" until she is on the road to recovery and can remain that way.  

@gertrudecloset   Yes.   Powerless over alcohol. Step 1.

People are not understanding the dynamics of mental illness and disease fueled by alcohol and drugs.

Those are NOT excuses, either.

Her delusions regarding being an alien and having 2 persons, one being in contact with God-there is much more to her mental illness.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Whenever we received a patient that had broken the law second to drugs, or alcohol, we'd take care to patch them up and set up counseling sessions while in house. But, these behaviors could never be used as an excuse for damages done, either to self, others, or property.

We made it clear that they broke the law and that hospital admission would not influence the impact of any charges. I saw some patient's discharged to police, after stabilizing. 

Yes, addiction and mental illness is sad, but can also be very dangerous. Someone floridly psychotic doesn't know what they're doing, Even with them, if they do something that could harm, or does harm someone else, having repeatedly stopped their medication, they will often have court mandated medications, enforcing compliance. Safety for all has to be the first focus. 

Substance abusers and those with many other mental illnesses (think various personality disorders) know what they're doing, that can cause harm, but do it anyway, then they resort to excuses. Often very manipulative. If it works for them, to do so, how can they ever learn, or grow? They won't. 

I have a lot of compassion, but the things I have seen in my career would shock many. Truth is much scarier and stranger than fiction. We have to have some controls and desperately need more focus and funding for mental illness and addictions. 

Thankfully, one of my hospital's favorite Psychiatrists took a position overseeing those needing mental health treatment in our local jail system. She's really good, with just the right amount of extended caring. She's had growing success in decreasing repeat offenders, sharing stats and programs, with other prison systems. But, she's also very firm: 'do the crime, do the time.'  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't feel one bit sorry for Anne Heche.She did this to herself. If that makes me a horrible person, so be it. I feel sorry for the woman whose house she destroyed. Heche has had mental problems for decades. We need to reopen mental institutions and lock these people up if they can't be cured. Sure, mental illness is a disease. But some mentally ill people are a danger to themselves and others and need to be kept apart so they can't harm innocent people. Heche was seriously burned in this accident. I saw a video of her being wheeled into an ambulance after the crash. The paramedics thought she was dead because there was a sheet over her face. She suddenly sat up and surprised the EMTs. When she sat up, you could see that her back was completely charred. Other parts of her body may also have 3rd degree burns. She probably has internal injuries as well as lung damage from the heat and smoke. She may not make it and even if she does, she will be horribly scarred.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is a new TMZ video of her almost plowing down a woman walking on the sidewalk.

Honored Contributor

I am very angry but not at Anne Heche. I am angry with the father who abused her. Research has proven that children that are abused ...it changes the structure of their brain. Far more susceptible to mental illness often times therapy fails them. My brother has been institutionalized for twenty years because of this.

Unless you have walked the walk, it is difficult to understand. My heart breaks for Anne Heche and the pain she has suffered that lead to this terrible outcome. There but for the grace of God go I.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think some here think she had the the ability to prevent this accident.  People do not realize how a person who has mental illness, trauma, and drug/alcohol issues do not have the capability to make such distinctions. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@kitcat51 

Along with the house being a total loss, so are their prized possessions, photos, important records/documents and reminders of their happy memories there.

They're the only ones I feel bad for.

@KingstonsMom Me too.  To lose all your possessions because of someone else being irresponsible is heartbreaking.  Did she go off her meds?  Did she stop therapy?  Did she ignore warning signs that she was about to spiral?  Something changed if Anne was managing her mental illness and then this happens.  If I were the homeowner, I would be really P*ssed off.

@Puppy Lips 

There was an open bottle of vodka by the gearshift in her car, photos online.

ETA: the bottle with the red cap by her gearshift was confirmed as being an open bottle of Vodka by LE:

@KingstonsMom Thank you.  I saw that - I just was not sure when that photo was taken.  And who took it?  The people that tried to stop her after the first crash?

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips 

That photo was taken after she hit the first garage and witnesses tried to get her out of the car, before she sped off and then hit the second home.

As she sped off, she almost hit a pedestrian in the parking lot, photos of that online too. 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.