Respected Contributor

Re: Actress Anne Heche has 'long recovery ahead' after car crash

[ Edited ]

Can't help but wonder if it was a suicide attempt. She may not even make it if she has damaged lungs and oxygen deficit to her brain... And if she does, I feel very sorry for her because burns are the worst injury- The pain is awful and the skin regrowth is random and constantly tightening, not orderly as when we are born- So for example, Facial burn victims often need to wear a plastic mask to keep the skin stretched- Just horrific, really. I volunteered  for a short time in a burn unit - and then changed careers, I couldn't handle it. I never forgot and it made me very pyrophobic-

Trusted Contributor

Neither you nor I are psychiatrists so we don't know the severity of Ms. Heche's mental illness, or if she is mentally ill at all. I would venture a guess that there are a whole lot of people who have had traumatic things happen during their childhood but they don't go and get dead drunk and drive their cars into peoples' homes or plow into a crowd of people or shoot up a school or a mall. That is no excuse. I lived with an alcoholic for 16 years and what I learned is that a drunk only loves 2 things: himself and booze. The same holds true for drug addicts. They have no empathy or feeling for anyone else and no sense of right and wrong. Ms. Heche had no right to do what she did and there is no excuse. If she is indeed mentally ill, which given her history is probably the case, she should have been under a psychiatrist's care. If she was on medication, she should have been monitored. If the medication wasn't working, she should have been placed in a  psychiatric hospital where she couldn't harm herself or anyone else. So stop making excuses for her. She chose to do what she did and she is paying a horrible price for her actions.  Anne Heche most likely wil not survive this but if she does, she will most likely be horribly disfigured and disabled. Being burnt like that is a horrible way to die and for that, I pity her. 

Honored Contributor

Apparently, she fell into a coma shortly after arriving at the hospital, whichj is a blessing in that she isn't suffering, that we can know of someone in a coma.

Respected Contributor

NY Post is reporting that Anne was in a beauty shop in Malibu buying a wig about 20 minutes before the crash and did not appear to be under the influence of anything.

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 12.41.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 12.41.09 PM.png

Honored Contributor

Photos make me wonder if attorneys are starting to build the case anticipating law suits on the case.  At this point, this is the last concern for Heche. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

How does a picture of Heche smiling prove that she wasn't inebriated.  Not all people are falling down drunks.  The picture doesn't do her any favors.  She doesn't look too well.

Respected Contributor

@lgfan The article stated that the shop owner had a conversation with Anne and didn't notice anything incoherent or off about her.  As far as her appearance goes, most celebrities look a lot different IRL without all of the makeup and hair styling that we're used to seeing them with.

Honored Contributor

The cops suspected a DUI and obtained a warrant to test Heche's blood...the results are pending.  Yes, the attorney for the plaintiff is already on it...here is his statement on Monday:

"Ms. Mishele is devastated by what happened to her on Friday - not only because she and her pets almost lost their lives, but because all of her property, including items of profound sentimental value, were destroyed. She asks for privacy at this incredibly difficult time."

Honored Contributor

@Buffalogal47  Now isn't the time or place to discuss what an alcoholic is or isn't; or for that matter a blank statement of whom they love.

I will say as the daughter of a functioning alcoholic, I feel umbrage at the way you feel the need to barrage all alcoholics as unloving individuals.

Finally, my father was a sweet loving man who cared for me for 13 years.  He protected me from a mother who was neither loving or kind.

You have a right to the way you feel.  But please don't make such a blanket statement about ALL alcoholics.

Thank you in advance.

Frequent Contributor

I believe it may have been appropriate in Anne's case to be under a court appointed conservator of person and property to encourage and help her seek mental well being.  

Did no one in her sphere perceive that she was spiraling out of control?  But when it is someone you care about, you don't necessarily want to interfere.   She needed an intervention many years ago.   Or maybe they tried to help her and failed.  I do feel very sad for Anne -- suffering child abuse from the time she was a baby girl.  How horrific and heartbreaking.