Honored Contributor
I liked her in Up In The Air with George Clooney (although she talks too fast). But not only is she all over the TV with her Hilton Hotel commercials, now she's doing Frito Lay products commercials too (she also talks too fast in the Hilton commercials, she only sang in the F-Lproducts commercial). I'm kind of surprised she's doing commercials, she seems to have a decent movie career.
Honored Contributor

I have never really enjoyed her as a actress but I know a lot of people do. I was surprised by the plethora of commercials she's been in since she has enough success not to have to go that route yet. 

Honored Contributor

Maybe she just likes to work a lot.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

It's not that she doesn't have a good career or that she has to do commercials.  Bigger celebrities than she do them.  A lot of money for little work.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
I liked her in Up In The Air with George Clooney (although she talks too fast). But not only is she all over the TV with her Hilton Hotel commercials, now she's doing Frito Lay products commercials too (she also talks too fast in the Hilton commercials, she only sang in the F-Lproducts commercial). I'm kind of surprised she's doing commercials, she seems to have a decent movie career.

I am laughing, I had no idea who were talking about until you said Hilton commercials.  I think her commercials are cute.  You can make a lot of money doing commercials

Esteemed Contributor

I really like her. Times are different now. Being in a commercial is not at all a step down; it's about increasing exposure and personal brand management. Commercials on TV are one of many ways this is achieved. 

Honored Contributor

There was a time when well known actors used to shy away from making commercials in the US.  They’d only make them for other countries.

However when Brad Pitt and George Clooney and others started making US commercials ( and I guess the pay improved) it was no longer considered ‘gauche’ to be in a US commercial.

Commercials are interesting as to when and where they are shown.

When I visit my daughter in Denver, they’re very different than the one’s I see in the DC/VA/MD area.

Also the commercials are different depending on the TV show.  During the day we viewers are inundated with lawyers who want to help sue and various medicines, but I think most of you know that.

When I wrote for the college newspaper I did an article about various commercials and how their shown to target audiences at target times of the day.

Most of us agree we wouldn’t buy something just because a celebrity tells us how great “it” is.  However, there must be people who do or I doubt they’d pay these celebrities these ‘big bucks’ otherwise.🙄

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

I recall reading about George Clooney's involvement with the invasions into Darfur (sp?) and his Nespresso ads are done to pay for satellite coverage to monitor the borders against possible threats.  Satellite time is very expensive.  I've heard that a few celebs do commercials and donate all the $$ to charities.  I think it's a good idea ....  a commercial paycheck can do a lot of good.  

Honored Contributor

Well not to take anything away from Mr Clooney or others that donate the money they receive for their commercials; but it’s always nice when money received is donated for charity and a tax write off.

I’m all about getting a two-fer...It would be nice if more people would or could do that.

I was not criticizing celebrities for doing commercials; and I definitely was not being critical of what they do with the money.  I’m all for capitalism.

I would question his ability to donate directly to something like that except it’s perhaps truthful considering his celebrity status and his wife’s involvement with civil rights around the world.😀

Honored Contributor

It's all about the bottom line....$$$$$