Esteemed Contributor

Re: Actor or Actress whom you no longer enjoy or care for.

Alec Baldwin
Valued Contributor

Never cared for Tom Cruise or Robert Wagner, I liked Natalie Wood.

Valued Contributor

Tom Cruise. In high school all the girls lost their minds over him...except me. Never was a fan but the whole Scientology things creeps me out & i just find him very creepy and disturbing.
Respected Contributor

@Tommie1965   So I have kind of a little twist on this topic re: Sean Penn.  I couldn't understand his draw as an actor and did not like his real life persona - so he was a big no for me.  But then I saw the remake of "the secret life of walter mitty".  He had a small part in it and he was fantastic!  Memorably so.  He won me over.

Honored Contributor

I don't care what an actor's beliefs are, but I don't like it when they are mean and/or condescending. And it seems a lot of them come out of the woodwork when they're older just to be mean and/or condescending! 

That being said- 

Matthew Broderick- I always thought he got away with that fatal accident in Ireland because he was who he was. Just makes it hard to watch him. 

Deborah Messing- Every time I've heard her speak she either complains about something or someone or puts someone down. 

I do know a lot of actors are shy in real life, and they seem uncomfortable when they are on a couch with an interviewer.

My former neighbor's sister lived in the same neighborhood as Richard Gere in the 90's. She said he was a really nice person, who would greet shop owners by name. She never met him as far as I know, but she ran into him in the market a lot!   Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Gwyneth Paltrow
Honored Contributor

The minute they try to sway me with their political viewpoints, they've lost me. I virtually pay no attention to anyone in Hollywood. 

Trusted Contributor

@Stray wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Stray wrote:

I really gave up on Hollywood and never go to a movie.  I'm sick of their political views & inserting themselves in politics.  But it's not too much of a loss for me as horror films are my favorite genre & big names or overly political persons are rarely in them.  

@Stray 

I guess this may come as a huge surprise to you but EVERYONE has opinions about politics ... and everything else.   So what?  Their right to have opinions is no different than yours or mine.

Personally, I find some statements to be very interesting, and others ... not so much.  

Your comment almost sounds like this is something new ... and it's not.   Back in 1973 Sasheen Littlefeather appeared for Marlon Brando, refusing the Oscar and making a political statement.  Yes, in 1973 ...  that's almost 50 years ago that this started.   So why people get their shorts in a knot for something like this is a little surprising.

JMO, of course ... and I'm entitled to it.  

@Tinkrbl44   I know politics has been infused in to entertainment and I stopped watching the Oscars after Brando.  I don't go to the movies any longer because I have my own views and everyone has a right to express themselves as I have the right not to listen or how I spend my money.  Horror is my genre and I watch On Demand if something looks interesting to me.   I don't watch award shows as I never see the movies.

I remember when Brando refused the Oscar, and sent the Native American woman to accept it and make her statement.

I was very young at the time, and I still was impressed by movie people, loved Marlon
Brando and the Oscars, and I was very much aware and sympathetic of the Native American issues. My father would talk about it often because he had a close friend who was Native American, a man who he met in the Air Force during WW2.  My father would explain to me that those Westerns we went to in the fitties portrayed the American Indian situation often very inaccurately and he talked about the injustices that Native Americans had experienced.  But I was still put off by the whole thing that Brando arranged.

It just didn't seem like the right time or place, there was just something about it that rang false to me.

Well, fast forward so many years, and it is now the thing to do at rewards shows, and I still find it somehow a fake gesture, a moralizing, condescending thing to do to viewers who are not watching at that time to get a lecture about social issues.

I don't watch those stupid award shows anymore, for lots of reasons, and that's one of them.

Trusted Contributor

@moonandthestars wrote:

@Tommie1965   So I have kind of a little twist on this topic re: Sean Penn.  I couldn't understand his draw as an actor and did not like his real life persona - so he was a big no for me.  But then I saw the remake of "the secret life of walter mitty".  He had a small part in it and he was fantastic!  Memorably so.  He won me over.

I don't like Sean Penn as a person, at least the little I know about him from the media, and some interviews he's done.

But I agree about his acting.   He's a really good actor.  And nobody can look sad as well as he can.  Just one look at his "sad" face, and my heart breaks.  He has this pitiful look.  I think it's his natural look, though, he seems to always have it.

Honored Contributor

Recently? Johnny Depp.