Super Contributor

I want to get Acorn TV and wanted to know what a Roku is and how does it operate?  Love those British shown.

Frequent Contributor

A Roku is a streaming device that it's plugged via USB or HDMI cable to your TV, it could be wifi or wired.  You can stream a lot of channels for free and some you have to pay. I have subscribed to Acorn TV for two years now and love it. It is $4.99/month and if you pay for the whole year you save, it will be $49.99. I also use it for Netflix, and PBS. 

There is now a Roku Express that is $29.99 at Best buys, it is wifi only but has excellent reviews, but you do need wifi for it, if you need it to be wired to the internet, buy a different kind.

I highly recommended it. A lot of people are cutting the cable and using these devices.

Hope this helps.

Last night I watched "The Witness for the Prosecution" new version, Agatha Christie,at Acorn, excellent!

Super Contributor

Yes, ROKU is a device you can purchase at Best Buy, target, WM, etc. You need to have a high speed internet connection and wifi. You can attach the Roku to your tv with a cable but it needs wifi to stream.  Then you can select channels like Acorn, PBS, Hulu, etc to add to your Roku. Acorn is excellent but you also can stream PBS British programs. 

I cancelled Directv after I got my Roku two years ago. There are hundreds of channels and some are free. Even my husband does not miss satellite.  

Honored Contributor

We love. Just pay for Hulu Plus it's less then 10 a month.

Honored Contributor

@shiningstar wrote:

I want to get Acorn TV and wanted to know what a Roku is and how does it operate?  Love those British shown.

you can also just watch Acorn on you laptop ifyou have one.

and if your TV and laptop have them connect with an hdmi cable,  if you don't have/want a Roku

you do need a decent wifi to watch with Roku or TV not too far away from the router

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

can always buy a signal booster/expander too. 

I got one pricey Netgear expander and a smaller one for my bathroom that has Roku box up on top shelf.