Honored Contributor

Does anyone subscribe to Acorn TV? What shows do you watch. We like to watch Doc Martin and we stream it to our TV via Chromecast. Also Upstairs downstairs, and a few others here and there. Well worth $5 a month for sure.

Valued Contributor
I tried for a couple months because we really enjoy British tv shows. We don't have access to wifi (other than satellite $$$$) so I have to stream over my phone using data. They didn't have an android app so I had to stream using their website with really mixed results. I got tired of fighting it and cancelled but would try again if they get an app.
Super Contributor

Funny you asked this...we just signed up for the free month with Acorn TV and love it.

We had watched 6 seasons of Doc Martin on netflix and adored every second.  So when Acorn TV was the first to stream season 7, we signed up!

When I did a search on my Roku for 'Martin Clunes' (he plays doc martin) lots of things came up.  We just started season 1 of 3 of 'William and Mary'.

Great show - funny, sad, poignant.  Reminds me a bit of 'Six Feet Under' - serious also funny, well written and well acted.

Also starting on season 1 of Miss Fischer murder mysteries - an Australian show that takes place if the 1920's.

We could seriously watch only Acorn and have plenty of great tv time!

Trusted Contributor

@namaste000---When I read your 3rd paragraph,,I thought you wrote Mork and Mindy and couldn't put 6ft under with a comparison w/M&M had to reread it.  My eyes and brain are not working.----------tedEbear

Honored Contributor

I don't subscribe to Acorn TV, but one of our local PBS stations carries a lot of the British productions.

And I get their catalogs so I can order DVDs to buy, or rent from Netflix. (I don't stream at this time.)

I loved William and Mary.  And Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries is fabulous.  I also love Mr. and Mrs. Murder.  (Miss Fisher and Mr/Mrs are Australian.)  Oh, and Murder in Paradise is another recent favorite.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Super Contributor

@tedEbear wrote:

@namaste000---When I read your 3rd paragraph,,I thought you wrote Mork and Mindy and couldn't put 6ft under with a comparison w/M&M had to reread it.  My eyes and brain are not working.----------tedEbear

LOL Mork & Mindy/Six Feet Under...yes 2 very different shows Smiley Surprised

Contributor

I am a long time subscriber to Acorn. Use it almost exclusively (and we also have Netflix and Amazon Prime). Having lived in the UK & Ireland for many years I find it a great option for familiar viewing.

Love :  Vera, Cadfael, George Gently, Irish R.M. Cracker, The Clinic, Time Team, William and Mary, Bue Murder, Cold Feet, Midsommer Murder, Lovejoy, Maccallum, Lost in Austen, Qi, Rebus, Rumpole.....etc.

Would get rid of every other subscription service if I had to but will keep Acorn.

Trusted Contributor

I don't have Acorn TV but if I got it, I'd get it for Murdoch Mysteries.