Honored Contributor

Re: Accident on Movie Set Today

@Kitty Galore wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

A whole lot of questions about this. Why was he pointing a gun at the cinematographer and director? The people at risk from blanks are the other actors, not the behind-the-camera people. It's hard to imagine a movie scene where the lead actor is pointing his gun at the cinematographer and director instead of a villain. 

We'll have to see what comes out of the investigation, but my suspicion is he either "playfully" shot them while fooling around assuming they would be unharmed, or lost patience with them and shot them in anger.

As a rule, on a movie set, you have no live ammunition. If you have live ammo for some reason, you have it locked up and secured. There are typically extensive gun safety briefings, checks and rechecks on the guns and ammo, and lots of precautions. You don't just let some idiot shoot someone. 

Will it be easy for him to get past this? I hope not. He killed someone. He pointed a gun at two people and pulled the trigger. It shouldn't have happened. Taking the life of an innocent person should haunt you. If it doesn't, you're not human. 

O

@gardenman wrote:

A whole lot of questions about this. Why was he pointing a gun at the cinematographer and director? The people at risk from blanks are the other actors, not the behind-the-camera people. It's hard to imagine a movie scene where the lead actor is pointing his gun at the cinematographer and director instead of a villain. 

We'll have to see what comes out of the investigation, but my suspicion is he either "playfully" shot them while fooling around assuming they would be unharmed, or lost patience with them and shot them in anger.

As a rule, on a movie set, you have no live ammunition. If you have live ammo for some reason, you have it locked up and secured. There are typically extensive gun safety briefings, checks and rechecks on the guns and ammo, and lots of precautions. You don't just let some idiot shoot someone. 

Will it be easy for him to get past this? I hope not. He killed someone. He pointed a gun at two people and pulled the trigger. It shouldn't have happened. Taking the life of an innocent person should haunt you. If it doesn't, you're not human. 

@gardenman I couldn't agree more.

@Kitty Galore  I hope not since you already agreed twice! 😁

(Look at your post. 😉)

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

I thought I heard somewhere that Alex Baldwin is also the producer on this film, so that may be why he's dressed in street clothes in the photo instead of a costume?

The news media in Albuquerque has interviewed everyone who ever set foot on this ranch ad nauseum.  They said originally he had blood on his clothing.  The sheriff confiscated those clothes so he had to change. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Apparently, the bullet went through the cinematographer and hit the director. I heard that half the crew walked off the set. So sad for all those involved.

Trusted Contributor

If anyone wants to Google "Just Jared". It is a Hollywood site and they have an article about the tragedy. Union camera people and non Union camera people. It seems there was some drama and strife on the set. Employed people walking off the job for one reason or another.

I vividly remember Brandon Lee from "The Crow" in 1997. This should NEVER have happened in 2021. So much more safety about guns on movie sets were applied at that time.

What a mess and the poor little boy losing his mom.

Respected Contributor

@Queen of shop wrote:

If anyone wants to Google "Just Jared". It is a Hollywood site and they have an article about the tragedy. Union camera people and non Union camera people. It seems there was some drama and strife on the set. Employed people walking off the job for one reason or another.

I vividly remember Brandon Lee from "The Crow" in 1997. This should NEVER have happened in 2021. So much more safety about guns on movie sets were applied at that time.

What a mess and the poor little boy losing his mom.

@Queen of shop The incident with Brandon Lee occured in 1993.  He was 28 years old.  He was 8 years old when he father died in 1973.

Honored Contributor

I have not read all of the replies, so I might be repeating what others have said, but I can't understand how something like this could happen?????  I know it is said that blanks are still dangerous.  They are saying things on the news like this gun was "hot" and not checked properly by people who are supposed to be checking them.  If a gun is safe, they refer to it as "cold."  They supposedly said when the gun was passed over, that the gun was "cold."  Another thing I am struggling with is --- why would he or anyone point the gun at someone on the set and fire it when it was not even part of the filming?  And then I heard that somehow a real bullet was somehow in the gun --- don't know if this was true!  

I also can't believe in this day and age, with all the technology that the movie industry has that they cannot come up with a safer way to do these scenes involving guns and shooting!  I mean, special affects can do pretty much anything now!  Why is it necessary to use guns which can cause possible harm in any way to anyone on movie sets?

Of course, there are so many things which will need to be sorted out.  Terrible, needless tragedies.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

With it now coming out about the complaints of the working conditions on set, including there being unsafe working conditions, the previous    accidental discharges, including the text message to a union production manager that has been released, stating, "We've now had 3 accidental discharges. This is super unsafe"  (Per People Mag), and then Baldwin being handed a loaded weapon, one can almost wonder if somebody was trying to make a point.  My suspicious nature.

@AngelPuppy1 , regarding this day and age and they should be able to come up with something without it being real guns, the TV series The Rookie  immediately banned real guns from the set and they are using replica toy guns with compunter-generated muzzle flashes.  

Respected Contributor

Now we're hearing that several employees had walked off the job second to safety concerns -- before the accident. According to reports, there had already been accidental gun discharges, one inside of a building. Terrible, if true, and not immediately addressed.

Why would they have guns lying around with live rounds, in the first place? Setting the wild, wild west vibe? Getting into character playing cowboy? Foolishness.  

After the first incident, you'd think a safety meeting would have been called and extreme care would have been taken. That's the responsibility of the production and safety team. 

Esteemed Contributor

Absolutely no excuse for a loaded gun on the set. NONE

Honored Contributor

I'm thinking if it were a 7-11 robbery and someone said "But he handed me the gun and said it was safe" if that would fly with the public or the authorities?

Still can't get past why was real ammo anywhere near a movie set?  Who brought that in and what were they thinking?  Along with basic gun safety that wasn't followed to prevent this.