Honored Contributor

Re: Academy Of Country Music Awards 🎶 Sunday April 7th

I'm a huge country music fan but this show was a snoozefest to me.  I ended up watching more of Idol.

I thought Miranda sounded awful, Chris Stapleton looked and sounded bored out of his mind and I thought Little Big Town's song was boring and Karen's voice was off key.  I also am not a fan of the song Carrie Underwood did.  I don't know.  It just didn't do a thing for me.

Kacey Musgrave is really taking a lot of heat on social media for not standing up during Reba's performance.  

Super Contributor

Native Nashvillian here who only watched a little of the first part of this show because country music isn't true country music anymore and hasn't been for a long time!  I grew up listening to Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Conway Twitty, Merle Haggard, Little Jimmy Dickens (who lived down the street from us when I was a teenager), and other true country artists.  I went to a Nashville college where Minnie Pearl (Sarah Cannon) came to speak to us in an assembly.  I ate sometimes at a family-run restaurant where Porter Wagonner and other Hee Haw stars also would eat (and never acted better or bigger than you were, often chatting with you if you were at the next table).  Personally I miss the true country music of the past, not the version out today.  (And, yes, I miss the old Nashville I grew up in rather than the crowded city today.)

Honored Contributor

@InStitches49 

My oldest son lives in the town that Porter was born in...plus i have seen the street named after him in West Plains,Mo.Heart

I can remember his tv show in black and white on tv...also when he took Dolly Pardon under his wing..by having her sing on his show!

Now that was country music!!

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Super Contributor

@aggravated wrote:

It seems to me that some form of Country Music awards are on monthly.

Just curious, when was the last one?  If recent, I must have missed it.

Super Contributor

Love these country music award shows as we don’t get to concerts as we used to. This show was not quite as good as they usually are, but overall I enjoyed it. Some observations – just my POV:

Kacey Musgrave. Why didn’t she stand during Reba’s performance? Why didn’t she appear to be paying attention to most of the performances? Why didn’t she clap? Why didn’t she smile any other times except when her name was announced?

George Strait. Always happy to have George perform.

Jason Aldean. Not a fan. I was able to leave the room during his on-stage time.

Carrie Underwood. Really like her but after all the hype about her special performance, I was disappointed.

Chris and Morgane Stapleton both looked bored, like let’s just get this over with so we can go home.

Miranda Lambert. Not a fav of mine, but I usually enjoy her performances on these shows. Not this one. Maybe she’s not good at those quick medley’s. Perhaps she was just a little nervous with first night on red carpet with new hubby and the dig at Blake coming up. She needs to move on from the past and forget about shading Blake. They are divorced and have moved on – and she has moved on a few times.

LBT. Love love LBT. Not so thrilled with this appearance. Karen seemed to be off-key a bit.

Keith Urban. Burden--the hit of the show for me. Great to really hear his voice. He so rarely is without the guitar. Happy that he won EotY. He has been nominated so many many times over the years and rarely has won. Happy for him.

I agree with some other posters about country not being true country any longer. Not too happy with the pop infusion and most definitely not happy with the rap infusion. Give me George, Patsy, Merle, Loretta, Conway, and so many other good old country singers any time.