Honored Contributor

Re: Aaron Rodgers On Jeopardy!

@teganslaw wrote:

I thought Rodgers did a good job. He seemed relaxed and had a sense of humor. I haven't heard about him wanting to be permanent host. That probably would depend on how his football career goes. 

@teganslaw 

He said he thought it would be possible to do both the NFL and Jeopardy....Here's an interview....

He told The Pat McAfee Show on Monday he would love to become the full-time host and would even shave his facial hair if that’s what it took to step into Alex Trebek’s large shoes.

“If that was a (prerequisite) to get the full-time gig,” Rodgers said, “(I would) have no problem with it. No problem.”

However, while a permanent position on the job could help Rodgers control his football future, Rodgers told The Ringer he thinks it’s possible to do both — play football and host Jeopardy! — because the schedules wouldn’t overlap.

“I don’t think I’d need to give up football to do it,” Rodgers told The Ringer. “They film 46 days a year. I worked 187 this year in Green Bay. That gives me, eh—[pauses]—178 days to do Jeopardy! So I feel like I could fit 46 into that 178 and make it work. It would be a dream job for sure, and I’m not shy at all about saying I want the job. That’s how I went into it. I want an opportunity to be in the mix.

“I feel like I bring something different to the stage. I’m the youngest of any of the guest hosts. I’d be the youngest host of just about any major game show. I bring an audience from the NFL, and I feel like I appeal to nerdy people, too, because I was a nerd in high school and got caught in that weird phase of wanting to be a jock and an athlete and also really caring about getting good grades. And at the same time, there’s not many bigger fans of the show than me. I’ve been watching it for years and years and years. I respect the show and appreciate the history of it, and also there’s my background of stepping in for a legend and their footsteps. I feel like all that combined makes me a pretty good candidate.”

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Aaron did a decent job.....I liked how Aaron was somewhat sympathetic and apologetic when a contestant gave a wrong answ

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@grandma r wrote:

I quite agree.  Aaron did a very nice job.  I read that he's been studying so as to do Alex proud.  I think Aaron is a Stanford grad so he's probably smart also.

So much better than the last substitute. 

Aaron Rodgers is a graduate of University of California, Berkeley. He did not attend or graduate from Stanford. 
He is smart enough, as you conjecture. He was the winner of a Jeopardy Celebrity Game in 2015. 

I really liked seeing him as host and look forward to his appearances in coming days. Yes, I like him better than Dr. Oz as host. 

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ 

Okay, thanks.  Not a football fan, so that's why his name meant nothing to me.  

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

Didn't know who he was before Jeopardy, so there was no prejudgement on my part. Personally, I wasn't impressed. Seems like a nice guy, but did not think he did that well. In fact, I turned it off after 15 minutes.

@World Traveler 

Me, either.   If you don't care about sports (or football) there is no reason you should know.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@World Traveler wrote:

Didn't know who he was before Jeopardy, so there was no prejudgement on my part. Personally, I wasn't impressed. Seems like a nice guy, but did not think he did that well. In fact, I turned it off after 15 minutes.

@World Traveler 

Me, either.   If you don't care about sports (or football) there is no reason you should know.

He has been in the news a lot lately for his engagement to actress Shailene Woodley so you don't have to care about football to have heard of him.  Just being aware if current events in the news will do it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@World Traveler wrote:

@World Traveler 

He has been in the news a lot lately for his engagement to actress Shailene Woodley so you don't have to care about football to have heard of him.  Just being aware if current events in the news will do it.

@ Pearley 

Ha ha ha .....   Oh dear ... I didn't realize that who Ms Woodley is dating or engaged to is considered actual "news".   Well, in your world, maybe, since you seem to live by what the gossip rags have to say.  For most people, that isn't "news". 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I posted this information on another thread. Here is an interesting take on all the guest hosts so far, from USA Today, April 6, 2021, written by Kelly Lawler.

Future guest hosts include CNN anchor Anderson Cooper, "Today" host Savannah Guthrie, neurosurgeon and CNN medical adviser Dr. Sanjay Gupta, "60 Minutes" correspondent Bill Whitaker, and actress Mayim Bialik, who stars in the Fox sitcom "Call Me Kat."

5. Dr. Mehmet Oz 

The controversial TV doctor, who has come under fire for his medical advice on his own show and appearances on cable news, was an odd choice for a guest-hosting gig that rankled many fans. And while much of the criticism of Oz rolled in before his episodes even began airing, his appearance didn't do much to prove his critics wrong. Fundamentally, Oz lacks the quick wit and timing required for this job, and his early episodes dragged (it did not help that on his first two outings, the contestants were rather lackluster). His lazy, nasally clue reading was irksome and interrupted the flow of the game play. He also struggled with the occasional fun facts that "Jeopardy!" hosts add to the clue, stopping the momentum.  

4. Katie Couric 

The former "Today" host and "CBS Evening News" anchor made history as the first woman to host Jeopardy! and did an admirable job during her two week-stint. Couric perhaps brought more of her bright, enthusiastic personality to the job than viewers were used to with the reserved (but witty) Trebek. Sometimes she distracted from the game, or spent too much time getting chummy with contestants during the host chat segment, but overall she was an amiable host. 

3. Aaron Rodgers

If you ever wondered what it might be like for a very chill, very friendly bro to host the game show, Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is here for you. The former Super Bowl champion – and perhaps more importantly, onetime "Celebrity Jeopardy!" champion – brought an extremely relaxed and genial presence to the series in his guest-hosting debut, happily noting when he had never heard of an answer and easily cracking jokes in the middle of reading clues. Occasionally, his approach was a little too casual, and at least one football-fan contestant was certainly very chummy with him, but overall he was a soothing presence. 

2. Ken Jennings 

The "Greatest of All Time" winner and longtime champ was the first to take up the guest host mantle after Trebek's death, and he was a comforting, familiar presence who got the job done. His ability to connect with contestants was key to his charm, considering he intimately knows what it's like to be in their shoes. Jennings only lacks the svelte, debonair affect that made Trebek so appealing to viewers, and he sometimes wobbled or struggled to get through an awkward transition. He was possibly the only guest host who could have immediately followed Trebek, and he deserves immense credit for keeping the show going and helping viewers mourn the late host. 

1. Mike Richards 

"Jeopardy!" executive producer Richards took a turn at the podium between Jennings and Couric and quickly won ardent supporters. And it's easy to see why: From his cool and sleek delivery of clues to his clever banter, Richards was both comforting and uncontroversial, taking his cues from Trebek's work but never directly copying him. His ease in the job was apparent, as was his familiarity with the clues and gameplay (as executive producer, he should be familiar with the show). Although Richards has hosted game shows before, including "Beauty and the Geek" and "Pyramid," he was an unknown to many "Jeopardy!" viewers, and thus brought no baggage. Ending each episode with Trebek's call to be kind to one another, Richards feels like a genuine candidate for the job. 

Honored Contributor

I also posted this on another thread.

In addition, the following was also posted on the Internet from THE WRAP, written by Tim Baysinger, April 6, 2021.

"Jeopardy!" fell another 2% in Dr. Oz's first week as guest host, with the Sony game show posting its lowest numbers since the New Year's holiday break.

"Jeopardy!" finished with a 5.2 household rating, while "Family Feud" led its second week in a row with a 5.4 rating, for the week ending March 28. It should be noted that the syndication faced heavy preemptions due to CBS' coverage of the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament.

The 5.2 rating is the lowest for "Jeopardy!" since the week ending Jan. 3, which was right before Alex Trebek's final week. The final episodes for the longtime host, who died in November following a battle with pancreatic cancer, hit season highs in early January. The show pulled in a 6.6 rating across his farewell week, with his final episode on Jan. 8 drawing 14 million viewers, more than any episode in over a year.

Since then, the show has had a rotating cast of guest hosts. Ken Jennings was first up and drew a 6.2 rating in his first week. In Week 2, he had a 5.9 rating. Jennings holds the "Jeopardy!" records for wins and cash prizes, and he also won the show's "Greatest of All Time" tournament.

Jennings was followed by executive producer Mike Richards, who was succeeded by Katie Couric. In Couric's second week, "Jeopardy!" fell behind "Family Feud" to finish second for the first time since Trebek's last episodes.

Dr. Oz concluded his run last Friday (most viewers were not happy he got the gig at all).

Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers began his guest hosting run last night.

Also for the week ending March 28, "Live With Kelly and Ryan" led the talk shows with a 1.8 rating and "Judge Judy" was comfortably ahead of the courtroom shows with a 4.9 rating.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@World Traveler wrote:

@World Traveler 

@ Pearley 

Ha ha ha .....   Oh dear ... I didn't realize that who Ms Woodley is dating or engaged to is considered actual "news".   Well, in your world, maybe, since you seem to live by what the gossip rags have to say.  For most people, that isn't "news". 

@Tinkrbl44   Couldn't tell you the last time I opened a gossip rag and I knew about it.  It was virutally everywhere.    I happened to know who he is so noticed; had he not been someone I was familiar with I would have scanned right by it and not noticed.