Honored Contributor

The full schedule:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2019-08-08

As you can see, some of her frequently-aired greats are there, as well as some sleepers.  Thinking about:

Ava Gardner and Robert Taylor in the Movie The Bribe - Hollywood, 1949.JPG

6:00 a.m. Eastern--  "The Bribe"  Ava Gardner, Robert Taylor, Charles Laughton, Vincent Price, John Hodiak

Sight unseen, but look at that cast!  Federal agent Taylor is tempted by torchy night clubber Gardner, but there are just one or two obstacles....   Really, how can you go wrong with Taylor and Gardner ?

Then there's "Showboat" at 10:00 a.m. Eastern, and fabulous "Mogambo" with Gable and Grace Kelly at 2:00 p.m. Eastern.  We've seen it all before, but was Ava ever more beautiful as she was here in her safari chic?

ava-gardners-costumes-Mogambo-17.png

I always recommend "Bhowani Junction" at 6:00 p.m. Eastern, as a satisfying international sudser with a good dollop of history.  Ava shines as a mixed Indian/British soldier in India during the growing pains of independence for that country.  She's romantically and intellectually torn, while various hunky men dance attendance, including dashing colonel Stewart Granger and cutie Bill Travers:

bhowani-junction-year-1956-usa-ava-gardner-bill-travers-director-george-B7RT9C.jpg

Had high hopes for a supposed "Ava" bio at 8:00 p.m. Eastern, but the description by TCM suggests it could be a murky, politically-tinged conflation of her life, with the downtrodden Spanish population under Franco???   I must have read it wrong!  But might be worth a look-- her life was tumultuous and fascinating...

Then, a movie I never can watch, suspecting as I do that it's a pretty brutal gangster-fest,  "The Killers" at 9:15 p.m. Eastern.

Thekillers2.jpg

BUT, in case you are interested, in its favor is the fact that:

1)It's directed by master director Robert Siodmak.

2)It's loaded with onscreen talent:  Ava, Edmond O'Brien, Burt Lancaster, Sam Levene, Albert Dekker.

3)It's from a Hemingway story, and no less than John Huston and Richard Brooks had a hand in the screenplay.

4)It's always rated 5 stars and the critics are insane about it.

And take into account I'm ultra squeamish, but lots of people aren't, so...   

Esteemed Contributor

Re: AVA GARDNER THURSDAY TCM

Thanks again @Oznell   She is just gorgeous. I’ll be watching. 

Trusted Contributor

Can't wait to watch these movies, thanks Oznell! One thing that boggles my mind always, that she was married to Mickey Rooney for a year. That had to be one of the strangest matches ever!

Respected Contributor

@Oznell  Thanks as always. Plan to watch the bio and The Killers. I’ve seen it before, excellent and hard boiled—- just my style.

Respected Contributor

GORGEOUS.  My Uncle, was in the movie business and worked for the MAJOR studios his entire career.   AVA GARDNER was my cousin's GodMother!!!!   When I went to see my 94 year old Aunt this past Feb,  she even showed me some gifts that AG gave to her many many decades ago!

Honored Contributor

Wow, that family connection to Ava, @nyc1 -- what fun.  She's one who I would have loved to have interviewed about the "real" Hollywood-- she seemed very capable of giving the straight, unvarnished skinny.

Honored Contributor

My fave of hers is Barefoot Contessa with Bogie and Rosanna Brazzi from 1954, she was grogeous. Lets not forget she was also married to Sinatra after Nancy. There is a museum for her in her hometown in NC, we always pass the sign for it on our way back from Florida. 

Honored Contributor

https://www.avagardner.org/

Museum in Smithfield, NC.

Honored Contributor

Ava was a true beauty and I enjoyed her films.  I saw Barefoot Contessa in the movies with my aunt when it came out.  I fell in love with it even though I may have been too young to fully understand.  Of course I have seen it so many times since and have it on DVD.  It is rated among my top favorites. 

I also love the theme song and finally after searching for a time, found a CD with instrumentals which include the Theme from The Barefoot Contessa.  It is also in my opinion one of the top movie themes and there were many, my favorite the theme from Picnic.  

I think Ava was the love of Sinatra's life and he pined for her a long time.

Honored Contributor

Rembmer Ava in 1985 playing Wm Devane's mother on Knots Landing, what an unexpected casting that was.