Honored Contributor

Re: AUDREY HEPBURN FESTIVAL FRIDAY TCM

Sorry to say I couldn't watch Greeen Mansions with Anthony Perkins. I had to turn it off and delete it. No wonder I never heard of the Audrey film. 

Honored Contributor

We just finished watching Wait Until Dark. We both screamed when Roat came flying out of the bedroom. We are such wimps — can’t watch a scary movie 50 years later. Well done!

Respected Contributor

@Oznell thanks for the heads up. i so enjoyed watching "Two for the Road" for the umpteenth time.  the theme song is so evocative - and some of their antics really make me laugh out loud after all these years.   as for "Wait Until Dark,"  uh, no -  i know what's coming and know that even though i know what's coming, i'm going to shriek and jump and act like a scaredy cat.  great movie - which i saw but once!  

Honored Contributor

Oh, yes, @OKPrincess and @ms traditional,  "Wait Until Dark" provokes the "startle reflex" more than once, yikes.  I've seen it so many times now that I can focus in more on the performances.  Am lost in admiration of what Alan Arkin does up there on screen.  As repellent as he is, he is repellent in very inventive ways-- that character truly feels like he has been thought out from way deep inside.  Alan Arkin is amazing.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Oh, yes, @OKPrincess and @ms traditional,  "Wait Until Dark" provokes the "startle reflex" more than once, yikes.  I've seen it so many times now that I can focus in more on the performances.  Am lost in admiration of what Alan Arkin does up there on screen.  As repellent as he is, he is repellent in very inventive ways-- that character truly feels like he has been thought out from way deep inside.  Alan Arkin is amazing.

@Oznell You are so right about the startle reflex. Maybe another viewing or two I can watch it without a pillow over my face. I kid you not — we sounded like two school girls. We even startled the cats. Oh well, I just had to share our experience with this movie.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Did anyone watch Two for the Road today?  Or recently?  I had seen it back in 2016 per my Netflix queue, when I gave it five stars.  But today as soon as that pretentious family with the only-to-be-expected bratty kid showed up, I lost interest.  They were onscreen for much too long.  Woman LOL

Audrey: 
I still want children.  I just don't want that child.

Albert, in the beginning of the film: 
Just because you use a silencer doesn't mean you're not a sniper.  (Brought on by Audrey's claim that she said nothing, but just gave him a "look.")

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Oh I love Wait Until Dark and recorded it today.   

My all time favorite AH movie is Breakfast at Tiffany's.   That film and her character influenced my life in so many ways.   I love Charade but didn't care for the age difference although they made a beautiful couple.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell@OKPrincess@ms traditional

My husband and I saw “Wait Until Dark” in a theatre when we were dating.  Usually I’m the one to get startled easily! 

He jumped more than I did and grabbed my wrist so hard I was bruised!

I adore “Love in the Afternoon”.  In my DVD collection.  

Gary Cooper had such a wonderful style of delivery.  Adore Hepburn, especially when she is tellng the stories from her father’s files. The gypsy violinists. 

I also enjoy John McGiver as Monsieur X.  And Maurice Chevalier! 

C’est si belle. C’est si magnifique!

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't watch TCM today but I have "Charade" and "Funny Face" on my PVR. It's hard to believe but Cary Grant was worried that the public would think he was too old to play opposite Audrey Hepburn. Nothing could have been further from the truth. That is one of my favorite movies as well as the movie "To Catch a Thief" opposite Grace Kelly. He was divine in both movies. I never noticed any age difference.

Respected Contributor

@TY wrote:

I didn't watch TCM today but I have "Charade" and "Funny Face" on my PVR. It's hard to believe but Cary Grant was worried that the public would think he was too old to play opposite Audrey Hepburn. Nothing could have been further from the truth. That is one of my favorite movies as well as the movie "To Catch a Thief" opposite Grace Kelly. He was divine in both movies. I never noticed any age difference.

Interesting.   It was a 26 year age difference and even Grant was uncomfortable because of the differnce.   I remember the first time I saw it, I commented on it immediately.  He was 59 and she was 33.  They still were a beautiful couple.