Honored Contributor

Re: AT&T Auctioning off DirecTV

We don't get very many over-the-air channels here b/c of the hills, mountains and valleys. Denver has a lot more channels than what we get here in Colorado Springs but the signals from Denver are blocked by a big hill so we can't get them. Even one of those amplified antennas won't work b/c you need  a signal to amplify to begin with.

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't think I could live without Directv but about a year and a half ago I cut the cord and just got Netflix and Hulu and I love it. Don't miss Directv at all. One of the best decisions I ever made.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'm a snob when it comes to picture quality on my TV. That's why I bought a big 4K when it first came out. Nothing compares with satellite picture quality. It's constant and in true 4K. But with streaming the picture you get can be piped through multimedias meaning you may not always get a good picture or sound. Steaming services will say that their's is 4K...true but only if you buy into it and that can cost more than people are willing to dish out. I didn't buy my big 4K TV to watch streamed programming and that's the bottom line. Until streaming services get better at picture quality and sound, I'm out.

@SilleeMee , I agree.  Streaming isn't all it's cracked up to be. That is what we do.  We dropped DirectTV years ago after a major price increase and we moved to cable.  Then it was price increase after price increase so about a year or more ago we decided to go to streaming.

We do stream through Spectrum. The one thing you must have for streaming is high speed internet and once we dropped cable, the price of the internet went up.  LOL  Anyhow, if the internet is down, there goes streaming.  I cannot tell you how many times I'll be in the middle of watching a program and all of a sudden, the tv cuts off and I'm back to the homepage and I have to start over again going to the Spectrum app, waiting for everything to load, etc. and by this time I've missed part of what I was watching. 

Yesterday it was impossible to watch anything on ABC because the picture kept freezing, it was pixalated, sound kept going in and out and we were catching about every third word.  This went on all day long.  90% of the time in the evening NBC is terrible to watch for the same reason.    

Esteemed Contributor

IMO AT&T ruined DirecTv.  I was a customer over 20 years and loved it.  I even paid extra for the Sunday ticket.  I dropped that a couple of years ago, After the last rate increase I had enough. Love satellite picture so called Dish and my bill was slashed more than in half and am very satisfied. My 4K picture is perfect, much better recording options etc. 

Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

IMO AT&T ruined DirecTv.  I was a customer over 20 years and loved it.  I even paid extra for the Sunday ticket.  I dropped that a couple of years ago, After the last rate increase I had enough. Love satellite picture so called Dish and my bill was slashed more than in half and am very satisfied. My 4K picture is perfect, much better recording options etc. 

@mspatmac 

I might have to go with Dish. I'm glad to see that you are liking it. That gives me hope.

Honored Contributor

My daughter and her husband got rid of it in February.  It was way too expensive and the internet provider they had to use, Verizon (not Fios which isn't available in their town) with it was awful.  They switched over to Comcast Xfinity for a lot lower price.  

Esteemed Contributor

That has to be awful @Lipstickdiva  I don't have any issues with it pixalating. The only problem I have is my Samsung TV doesn't work well with Hulu, I can watch about an hour and the volume goes off and I have to disconnect TV and volume is back. So I watch Netflix in the living room and Hulu in the bedroom.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@mspatmac wrote:

@mspatmac 

I might have to go with Dish. I'm glad to see that you are liking it. That gives me hope.

@SilleeMee 

I've had DISH for about 15 years.  I live in the country with no available cable and for the same reasons as you--distance from major network towers, hills, trees--can't get over-the-air.  My internet is very slow.

DISH does go out when it rains hard (not much snow problem here), and you get the occasional network blacked out when they're squabbling about programming prices.  But on the whole, I've been very happy with DISH.  I liked the programming and prices from the beginning better than DirectTV.

I think the only thing is that if you're an HBO subscriber they don't offer that, since it's now owned by ATT.  

Honored Contributor

@geezerette 

Thanks for that bit of information. Does Dish ever offer freebies? ...like a weekend or week of free viewing of Showtime or other premiums? DirecTV does offer free stuff every now and then.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@geezerette 

Thanks for that bit of information. Does Dish ever offer freebies? ...like a weekend or week of free viewing of Showtime or other premiums? DirecTV does offer free stuff every now and then.

@SilleeMee 

Oh yes.  Every month they have some of the channels that are only available through the higher end subscriptions for free.  They rotate those every month.

They don't offer the movie channels quite that often, but they do have them fairly often for a weekend or even a couple of weeks once in a while.  The lower end movie channels are free more often (of course), but even the premium movie channels are offered frequently.  I'm constantly getting emails about what's new and free.  And they have one channel that always shows what's available for free viewing that you might not have in your package.